Sewer gas comes in kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

BRIGITE

Reaction score
Hi all. :eek: I am new to this board, so please bare with me! I looked through other threads and found similar problems, although not exact. So I'm posting a question and appreciate any suggestions as I am a blooming idiot when it comes to plumbing. :p

I live in a 60 year old house with a basement. Sewer gas seems to be coming into my house through 2 places. 1. A drain in the basement floor wreaks of it so strongly that it comes upstairs through the floor. 2. On the main floor, when the toilet is flushed, gas comes up through the kitchen sink strong enough that it just about knocks someone down if they are in the kitchen. Then it flows through the house.

It's causing nausea, sore throats, and headaches. :eek:

My husband (who is handy) has removed all the traps and cleaned them out. He has taken piping apart and flushed water through them. Our only guess is that the flushed water from the toilet isn't making it all the way out to the main drains and it's coming back and pushing gas in.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Do any of you have any other advise on what it could be? We can't afford to hire a pro right now, but will have to find a way if we have to.

Thank you soooo much for any help or suggestions. Have a super day all!0
:D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Seldom used floor drains need water poured into them periodically to keep water in the trap so that sewer gas can't leak past. This may very well be the problem there.

You might have a clogged vent line that causes water to be sucked out of the kitchen sink when the toilet is flushed.

Water in the traps is the thing that keeps the sewer gas out. Vents allow the waste to flow properly without creating a vacuum that can remove that water in the trap.

Note I'm not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks