Sewer connection to street question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Right after I first bought my home the town sewer system went into service. I had my home connected and that was in the early 70's. I have an RV, actually a truck camper with a full bathroom. I would love to be able to just connect my camper to my swer line to empty the tanks. I called the town sewer dept and a friend of mine there faxed me a drawing of where my line is located and where there is a connection to the street. I dug down a few inches and found what appears to be a flat metal cover. I don't know how big it is or what exactly is there. Can anyone give me any idea of what I am looking at and what is the possibilty of me being able to make a connection to dump the camper black and grey tanks. I pay plenty for sewer fees and the camper tanks are very small......Would be a real big help to be able to make this connection. Do I need a plumber or is there something under that flat cover and how big is it likely to be. It is on my property at leastt 10 feet from the edge of the streets paving. Line was installed in about 1972 ?????

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I dug down thru only a few inches of driveway stone and hit the cover plate. I exposed about a 8-10 inch square section. It is bigger than that and I don't know if it's round or square. I did not remove enough stone to expose the entire cover. I thought maybe there was some sort of std. type connection plumbers would be familiar with. I was hoping to find a vertical pipe section with a removable cap or plug.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Uncover this,take a picture and report back.Local codes will govern weather you can do what you are hoping or what sort of trouble you'll have if they find out!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
RV tanks

City sewer systems typically do not want you dumping your RV tanks if you use the blue sanitizing material in them. It is detrimental to the treatment system. It is definitely bad for septic tanks also.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity.......When RV's use a common dump station at say a truck stop it must be passed along into a sewer system? Almost everyone with an RV uses some form of additive whether it be "blue stuff" or something else. My sewage fees at home are over $1100 a year. My camper has a 6 gallon black tank and 18, I think grey water tank.....20-30 gallons is about it plus some fresh water to flush it. I'm pretty sure thats not going to cause a problem with a town the size of where I live and it's sewer system. I use a few ounces of "blue stuff" whenever I use the camper. I will have to dig out that cover and see whats down there.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that they have large honey holes some other type of waste pit that periodically gets pumped out to be disposed of. Contact your local sewer district and find out if you can discharge into the system. All it takes is a phone call. You do not want to get caught for illegal dumping. Think fines in the thousands of dollars.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Rv

Many stations have RV dump ports for just that reason. A quart of oil dumped on the ground probably would not contaminate much ground water, but you can get into just as much trouble doing it as if you dumped a barrel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks