Sewer connection questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisf8657

Reaction score
For our experts or who can figure this out,

Picture 1:
We have a weird metal-type (with the ?) plug that takes a slot-type key to open it. Is this sewer? In the same picture, you see the sewer cleanout, which I have opened before, and does a 90 deg or somewhat like that turn to the left downwards as I have drawn in the picture.

http://www.cfcsaz.com/other/sewer1.jpg

Picture 2:
The metal "plug" would be in-line with the kitchen, all the way in the back of our house.
But, it does not have a connection to the ABS in the first picture...I cannot open it because it uses something I've never seen before..

http://www.cfcsaz.com/other/sewer2.jpg

Can anyone figure this out?!?

No plumber has been able to, and I'm not paying to camera the line since we have had no backups. The house was built in 1982.
We are on City water and sewer.

Thanks!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That is a flush mount plug,it looks like it is threaded into cast iron.To open it you need a 2" masonary chisel put in slot and try to twist it out or you can break it out. Once that is done run water in your house and listen if you can hear water running through it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It SHOULD be half of a "two way" cleanout system, although THAT one should be the one with the turn going towards the street, and the one with the square head plug should be "facing" towards the building. IF what we think is correct, you have a section of sewer between those two openings which MAY NOT be accessible by a sewer snake if it gets obstructed in that portion of the line. The countersunk plug requires ANY flat object which will fit into the slot to unscrew it. CSK plugs are better for lawns because the lawnmower does NOT chop the top off which can happen with the raised square top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks