Sewage Vent and Flexible Duct

Users who are viewing this thread

egeyke

Reaction score
I've recently purchased an old ass mobile home. It was built 1972 pre-HUD.

One of it's issues is that the sewage vent leaks sewage fumes back into the home. At first, I thought this was all a problem with the vent cap which was 2 inches and flush with the roof so that if there was any snow (this is in Michigan) it wouldn't function.

I put a new vent cap on, and kept it in place with a brick to test if that fixed things.

Various vent caps later (which had various impacts on the sewage fumes backing into the home, funnily NO vent cap has the best affect) and I've decided that's not the main issue.

What I'm now suspecting is the issue is that somewhere in this old, double layered roof (sub roof and storm roof) the original builders attached flexible HVAC ductwork to the end of the PVC vent pipe to finish snaking through the roof and to the outside. There's PVC pipe up through the house from the plumbing line, but the roof just shows an HVAC duct. This is the right vent, solely because of smell and all the dicking around I've done with it and how it's improved my house's plumbing.

How likely am I to be correct in suspecting that this can cause a lot of problems with making sure that sewage fumes go one way, out of the house?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks