Sewage sump pump and discharge pipe install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

cwneedham

Reaction score
I have a full basement with a full bathroom and a wet bar that empty into a septic sump basin with sewage pump that pumps up to to the main discharge drain which empties to my septic system.

Due to some original install issues and piping location issues, I am re-doing the discharge pipe. I have found a couple of videos that suggest drilling a small hole (1/8-3/16) in the discharge pipe about level with the top of the pump. My pipe does NOT have one currently in it and I am curious about the need for this and it if helps, etc?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the bleed hole is required it will be specified in the pump installation instructions. Some pumps have it built into the discharge section of the housing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
its purpose is the allow the pump to discharge an air bubble if the pump does not shut off in time and pumps the pit dry. Otherwise, the pump will "run dry", not pump the water, and damage the shaft seals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks