sewage pump installation help

Users who are viewing this thread

kwaterman

Reaction score
We are very new to this sewage pump idea. We are installing a home about 60 feet from the septic tank and there will be a slight incline from house to the tank. Our house will me a manufactured home so there is no basement. We have two bath, laundry with three people living in it. Where do we start when looking for a pump? What kind, how large, and is it installation.
I know this is general information but please help me get started.
Thanks
K

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In some areas, a residence plumbed entirely to a lift station will be required to have twin pumps attached to an automated switch that cycles them independently. A high level alarm may also be required. The size of pump will depend not only on the input volume, but also largely on the rise in elevation and overall length of the discharge line.

You should refer to the plumbing code that applies to your location and the local plumbing code. A call to your municipal plumbing inspector may be helpful also.

IMO, if the entire system could be avoided by raising the grade of the residence 2-3 feet, you would be better off in the long run.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You can usually set one pump and one alarm in the second chamber of the tank.

But from now on, I do a third tank of plastic or cement and set the pump in it. Makes the service so much easier.

Raising the house is an extreme solution, but its always best to avoid pumped septic.

kwaterman

Reaction score
I may call our home guy to find out how high the home can be set. I am sure there is a standard but ask if there is any way it could be higher. If that doesn't work then we will do the pump. Thank you for any advice and further information anyone can give us.

kwaterman

Reaction score
I forgot to mention...we are in the country and will be running it to the old septic system...our old house was tied into that but was high enough....

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A proper base for such a home needs to have all the topsoil removed and truck loads of base material brought in and compacted. The determining factor for your purposes will be how much room you have to work and how much the base need to be raised to achieve proper slope to the septic system.

Building or placing any kind of structure in a low spot is never a good idea. Buildings should always be on high ground. With "100-year rains" becoming common, more and more people are figuring this out the hard way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks