Sewage line cleanout by street - clay??

Users who are viewing this thread

DCpete816

Reaction score
Neighbor is doing remodeling and city is forcing him to replace sewage cleanout by the street in the front yard. The cleanout is PVC currently and looks to be fine (plumbers have it dug up now). Code says it must be replaced with clay. This seems very strange to me in earthquake country (Campbell, CA). Apparently I am missing something. Why would you replace PVC with Clay in earthquake country?

I am curious, because I don't have a cleanout by the street. I know my sewage line is cast iron from 1947.

Thanks, Chris

Reach4

Reaction score
I would hope that somebody got the story wrong. :(

Asktom

Reaction score
Be sure you don't use clay with a high lead content. (sarcasm)

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The code probably says not cast iron or steel and was written before pastic ... leaving clay as the only option. Maybe he can get approval to use Bakelite.

Tom098

Reaction score
Perhaps i'm wrong in my brief (google) checking out but California Plumbing Code 701. etc makes no mention of replacing PVC with Clay? Campbell Code (FWIW) makes no mention of this either? Neither does San Jose?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks