Sewage Ejector Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
This was a budget install just a 2" 115v sewage pump package system.

All hand excavated and backfilled.

6.5 hrs start to finish and we waited an 1.5 hrs on the system to be delivered.

The old basin was garbage and the lid was buried 18" deep. No cleanouts above the ground either....all 18" below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
No way I bag the gloves up with water bottles etc etc. The old basin and old pipe is waiting to be picked up tomorrow alog with some extra dirt.

Infact I'm even hauling off some of the original installers trash.

Mliu

Reaction score
So what happens to the sewage when (not if) the power and/or pump fails?

Mliu

Reaction score
My point is that there appears to be no safety outlet for the sewage so it will back up into the house and cause a very expensive mess.

Also, I'm not too keen on the gate valve inside the sewage tank.

Btw, what is that small PVC line shown in the photos of the hole?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
My point is that there appears to be no safety outlet for the sewage so it will back up into the house and cause a very expensive mess.

Its a small office building with 3 toilets and 3 lavatories. It would be no different than if the toilet clogged as far as mess.

Gate valve inside the basin is engineered and pre-packaged. It works fine. Some of them have been in service for 30 +years. The engineer asks where the system is being installed and builds the package to meet that citys codes. That way i dont have to worry about it keeping up with what inspector in what city wants this and that.

Its an old irrigation line.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
This pumps to a gravity sewer. It pumps about 50' through a 2" line with a 3' rise over the 50'. With the larger basin the pump will cycle less often. The crap you see there that I pulled out lasted 17 years....I dunno how.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score

Is this the first time you've seen an ejector pit?

You realize that almost all sewer systems have lift stations, it's sort of impossible to avoid unless all of your houses are on the top of a mountain and your sewer treatment plant is in a canyon...

Mliu

Reaction score
Is this the first time you've seen an ejector pit?
The home I'm currently living in has an ejector pit that feeds into a forced-main sewage line; the forced main rises to the street sewer which is quite a distance away.

My home's ejector pit is buried 18"-24" below grade. There is a large (almost the diameter of the tank) riser that sits on the tank and serves as a manhole. The top of the pit is vented to this space so if the sewage is unable to be pumped for any reason, it will overflow into this riser area and then spill into the landscaping (which is a far better alternative than having it back-up into the house). There are two ejector pumps that are powered by a controller that alternates the pumps, or activates both pumps at the same time if the alarm float ever rises. The sewage line from the house enters the pit from the top of the tank. The outflow pipes exit vertically from the top of the tank, make a 90 to horizontal pipe unions, then penetrate the wall of the riser where they connect to the bronze back-flow check valves (which are buried just outside the riser). The two outflow pipes then join to one pipe which is connected to a bronze and stainless steel ball valve which is in a Christy box. After the valve, the line joins to the forced main.

I'm in the suburban northern penninsula of the SF Bay Area where the climate is mild. Nevertheless, the power goes out at least once a winter due to storms knocking trees onto power lines. I'm damn glad I've never had to worry about sewage backing up into my home!

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
And when was the last time you checked the condition of the check valve you've put so much faith into (after not putting any into the pump/electric grid)?

Mliu

Reaction score
My point is that, it matters not if I have any faith in the check valve -- or any other of the components in the system. I need only have faith in the laws of physics and gravity. The worst that can happen with my system, even if EVERY part failed simultaneously, is that the sewage would spill into the landscaping. It will not ever back-up into my home (unless of course there was a problem in the internal drains of my home, but that's an entirely different situation).

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The home I'm currently living in has an ejector pit that feeds into a forced-main sewage line; the forced main rises to the street sewer which is quite a distance away.

My home's ejector pit is buried 18"-24" below grade. There is a large (almost the diameter of the tank) riser that sits on the tank and serves as a manhole. The top of the pit is vented to this space so if the sewage is unable to be pumped for any reason, it will overflow into this riser area and then spill into the landscaping (which is a far better alternative than having it back-up into the house). There are two ejector pumps that are powered by a controller that alternates the pumps, or activates both pumps at the same time if the alarm float ever rises. The sewage line from the house enters the pit from the top of the tank. The outflow pipes exit vertically from the top of the tank, make a 90 to horizontal pipe unions, then penetrate the wall of the riser where they connect to the bronze back-flow check valves (which are buried just outside the riser). The two outflow pipes then join to one pipe which is connected to a bronze and stainless steel ball valve which is in a Christy box. After the valve, the line joins to the forced main.

I'm in the suburban northern penninsula of the SF Bay Area where the climate is mild. Nevertheless, the power goes out at least once a winter due to storms knocking trees onto power lines. I'm damn glad I've never had to worry about sewage backing up into my home!

My point is that, it matters not if I have any faith in the check valve -- or any other of the components in the system. I need only have faith in the laws of physics and gravity. The worst that can happen with my system, even if EVERY part failed simultaneously, is that the sewage would spill into the landscaping. It will not ever back-up into my home (unless of course there was a problem in the internal drains of my home, but that's an entirely different situation).

What your not understanding is the system I installed is not connected to a forced main sewer line. The system I installed is connected to a gravity drain. Even if my check valve failed the building would not fill with sewage unless the people continued to flush the toilets......which would be stupid. It would be the same if a gravity sewer clogged.

Your system is pumping into a forced sewer. You have two pumps and thats called a duplex system. They alternate to exercise both pumps and to keep one from over heating during heavy use.

Your system probably has two check valves......one at the pumps and one at the city connection. Both would have to fail for your tank to fill with the citys sewage.

While the two different type systems have things in common...like pumps,tanks,check valves.......they are totally different in how they are designed

I've never seen a high water alarm float be able to turn on both pumps..........

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Also if every part failed at the same time........you would be knee deep in sewage in the house. Most reliefs are 2" pipe with an upside down trap.......I've found them packed with dirt from insects.

As I said I've never seen a system that can operate both pumps at the same........the ones I install have 4 floats. 1 for on,1 for off,1 to alternate the pumps and 1 for high water alarm.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I think it is hilarious what you're trying to say here milu...

Basically what you're saying is that the sewer is going to backup, fill up the pit, fill up the drains in the house, and then fill the house up...

You're sure you understand the physics you were speaking of earlier?

Mliu

Reaction score
I think it is hilarious what you're trying to say here milu...
Basically what you're saying is that the sewer is going to backup, fill up the pit, fill up the drains in the house, and then fill the house up...
You're sure you understand the physics you were speaking of earlier?

Whose system are you referring to: mine or the one installed by the OP?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks