Sewage Ejector Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm designing a house with a basement that will be unfinished initially but I am curious about what might be a useful thing to do when the slab floor is poured. My main plumbing will be stacks dropping into a horizontal branch hanging in the basement and then out the slab wall to an overhead sewer. My questions are as follows:

If I wanted to put in a pit for an ejector unit, would it make the most sense to have it close to the horizontal branch? close to the exit fitting of the main drain?

Also, I am considering leaving a gap so that a separate 3" vent could someday be run to the roof. Just wondering what the "smart" forward-thinking things to do are when prepping for that day when the concrete mixer truck shows up...

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most sewage ejector pumps vent with 2", but you can check. Bigger is always good.
Inspectors like to see those piped into a 4" main line if possible.
For a sewage pump, you need to vent the plumbing going to it, and also the basin itself.

Erico

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm designing a house with a basement that will be unfinished initially but I am curious about what might be a useful thing to do when the slab floor is poured. My main plumbing will be stacks dropping into a horizontal branch hanging in the basement and then out the slab wall to an overhead sewer. My questions are as follows:

If I wanted to put in a pit for an ejector unit, would it make the most sense to have it close to the horizontal branch? close to the exit fitting of the main drain?

Also, I am considering leaving a gap so that a separate 3" vent could someday be run to the roof. Just wondering what the "smart" forward-thinking things to do are when prepping for that day when the concrete mixer truck shows up...

Thanks in advance.

If I were you I would have the vent installed and capped. Either tie it in to the proposed main vent (if possible) or run a separate vent and have it flashed on the roof then cap it off (bottom too if tied in) to keep rain out. Saw the caps off later when needed.

I'm going through this right now with a buddy. He's all exited and anxious to build out the bathroom the builder "pre plumbed". One small problem- no vents. So now what? We haven't gotten that far. The drain and ejector is plumbed but no vents. No one is looking forward to knocking holes in pristine brand new walls.

I suppose closer is better so you don't have to traverse as much duct work or other obstructions.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Why cap? Who cares if some rain gets in the vent? I think capping just adds extra work.
The key, for me, would be to have all the roof penetrations done at the time the roof is installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks