sewage ejector pump and uphill drain

Users who are viewing this thread

68malibu383

Reaction score
I inspected a 40 year old house with basement today and it had a laundry room in the basement. Washing machine discharged into a stack that was about 4.5 feet off ground, then it went down toward the ejector pump, then through a (presumed) one-way valve and up, up, up and into the pump basin (pipe coming through wall in lower right - see photo). So, water will have to rise into the washing machine stack to a level as higher than where it eventually discharges into the basin. I can't imagine this is ok but I've never seen one set up like this so I need to ask. 11-02-11 054 (Small).jpg

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
So what is it you're asking? Is it code-compliant? Heck no, with the 20-inch deep trap, drain obstructed by that
pointless check valve, and probably a few more things. Nonetheless, it might work OK, and of course a lot less work
than digging the big hole in the floor that those things are usually put in.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With that "high rise" AND a check valve, I am suprised the drain does not overflow every time the washer discharges. That is what is known as a "cobbled up mess" and could ONLY have been done by a homeowner who thought "anyone can do plumbing, as long s they have enough pipe and fittings".

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
They would have been better off allowing the washer pump to pump up to ceiling level and then running the hose to a standpipe with the trap about 4' above the floor. Still not code, but would have worked better.

The basin also has to have a dry vent through the roof.

They could run the washer to a sink pump like the Liberty 405, which has the inlet a foot off the floor.

David Palmer

Reaction score
That looks like some of the good ol boy Plumbing I'm used to seeing down here in Georgia. We've got several Licensed Plumbers and Handyman Companies that wouldn't think twice about throwing some crap like that together in someones home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks