Sewage ejector fixture units

Users who are viewing this thread

Wally Pfautz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm adding to our DWV system, so am calculating overall sizing. I'm a little confused about drain and venting requirements for an existing sewage ejector pump which serves a 3/4 bath in our basement. The only thing I've read for sizing to plan on 2 F/Us per gal/min of flow. I don't know the Zoeller model we have, but from their website, pumps for this use have somewhere around 60-80 gal/min flow. So thats 120-160 F/Us. That relates to a 4" vent and drain requirement! The unit only has a 2" vent, and the discharge goes up with 2" pipe into a 1/4" per foot sloped 3" drain to the 4" main. Am I looking at this wrong?

My basic question is though, what number should I use for F/Us for the discharge so I can properly size the rest of the DWV system?

Thanks so much
Hazel

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
dont worry about it...

The pump doesent "know " how much sewage you
are going to throw down into that pit and will work all the same...

If it is a Zoeller its probably more than powerful enough to do the job.

as long as you use a two inch vent and drain off the pit it will work fine...

usually its better to be able to tie in the pump discharge drain off that pit into to something large like a 3 inch waste drain somewhere....
---------------------------------------------------------

If you doing a 2 1/2 bathroom house

most houses will commonly need only a 3 inch PVC main drain line and that will handle quite a large amount of fixture units...

up to 3 toilets on a horizontal line used to be the common denominator....??

Sometimes its easier to just come into the house with a 4 inch main drain line then reduce it down and then you are good to go for about 6 full bathrooms.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks