Sewage Ejection Pump Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Zombie13

Reaction score
About 7 years ago I had a sewage crock/ejection pump installed by a plumber. It has worked flawlessly until about a month ago. Truth be told, it still works, but now it doesn't seem to be ejecting completely. It runs for the same amount of time, and sends a large 'slug' of stuff up the pipe. This makes it to the main drain, and you can hear it run down. But after the pump shuts off, a large quantity of stuff comes back and rests on the check valve.

Does that make sense? It almost seems like there is a blockage in the pipe, but not a complete blockage? Could this be it? I know the vent is good, and I know it is ejecting because I opened the crock and watched it. Other than a partial clog, I don't know what else it could be.

Thanks for any ideas.
Z.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
it doesn't seem to be ejecting completely.
Measuring the pump PSI and GPM could prove difficult so measure the voltage input and the current draw and compare it to full load specifications.

Post what you can on your pump. Usually there are clues as to what should probably be checked/tested.

Maybe it wasn't sized correctly
http://www.gouldspumps.com/pol_0012.html

Last edited:

Zombie13

Reaction score
Measuring the pump PSI and GPM could prove difficult so measure the voltage input and the current draw and compare it to full load specifications.

Post what you can on your pump. Usually there are clues as to what should probably be checked/tested.

Maybe it wasn't sized correctly
http://www.gouldspumps.com/pol_0012.html

I don't think I spoke correctly when I said it wasn't ejecting correctly. I can work on getting those specs, but it seems like it ejects completely but everything it ejects doesn't make it into the final house drain. It's almost like it's being reflected back to the sewage crock.

As far as sizing, this setup has been in place for 7 years and, as far as this bathroom is concerned, the load has not significantly increased. This pump is only for 1 full bathroom, not a whole house or laundry facilities or anything like that.

Z.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Sounds like a partial stoppage to me, it also sounds like you don't have your discharge pumping down into the pipe?

Zombie13

Reaction score
Sounds like a partial stoppage to me, it also sounds like you don't have your discharge pumping down into the pipe?

Pipe leaves the crock, goes up into the rafters, flows along the ceiling to the main wet soffet, then turns and flows along the back wall until it meets with the main house drain just below the 8(?) way connector for all the other house lines. The crock/pump was added well after the house was built and that was the way the plumber who installed the crock wanted to do it.

What would the best way be to check for or remove the blockage? Snake?

Z.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The water ALWAYS "comes back", or rather, never leaves the pipe, so when the pump shuts off, whatever water was above the check valve stays there. There will be a momentary reversal of flow as the check valve closes, but the amount of water above the check valve is ALWAYS the same, and there is NO ROOM, or vacant space, for water to "come back" into. Therefore, your initial diagnosis is faulty, and you have something else at work if there is actually a problem with the system. And, I hope you have something other than a "crock", since that would be a vitrified clay pit, and they are seldom, if ever, "watertight".

Last edited:

Zombie13

Reaction score
The water ALWAYS "comes back", or rather, never leaves the pipe, so when the pump shuts off, whatever water was above the check valve stays there. There will be a momentary reversal of flow as the check valve closes, but the amount of water above the check valve is ALWAYS the same, and there is NO ROOM, or vacant space, for water to "come back" into. Therefore, your initial diagnosis is faulty, and you have something else at work if there is actually a problem with the system. And, I hope you have something other than a "crock", since that would be a vitrified clay pit, and they are seldom, if ever, "watertight".

Crock was what the plumber that installed it called it. It is a plastic ( or plastic like) bucket like thing. It isn't clay.

When the pump shuts off, there is a 2 second (-ish) delay before you hear the water sloshing in the pipe starting out soft, and getting louder until you can hear what sounds like a large quantity of water collect on the check valve.

Z.

Zombie13

Reaction score
Sounds like the check valve no worky.

But shouldn't the check valve keep stuff from flowing back into the crock (or whatever it's called)? It sits like 6 inches above it and has like 7 feet of pipe after it before the pipe bends to go thru the joist cavity. I think it's doing that.

Z.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
It has worked flawlessly until about a month ago.
it doesn't seem to be ejecting completely.
It runs for the same amount of time
stuff comes back and rests on the check valve.
This tells me that the slugs originally had higher momentum and higher speed. Bad pump and/or blockage and/or pipe pitch change?
I guess the return quantity along with drain pipe ID gives you some idea of the location of a blockage if there is one.

Last edited:

Zombie13

Reaction score
This tells me that the slugs originally had higher momentum and higher speed. Bad pump and/or blockage and/or pipe pitch change?

Talk to me about pitch change please? I did notice sometime recently that the sounds made when the pump ran changed. It used to clunk very loudly when it stopped running. Sometimes multiple times. Sorta like water (or air) hammer in the water pipes. That stopped and now it just runs and clicks off quietly. Could this have change have been the result of a pitch change?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is why your diagnosis is faulty, because the water does NOT shoot up above the check valve and then fall back. The pipe is ALWAYS full of water, and the check valve just keeps most of it IN the pipe instead of draining back into the basin. IF water IS flowing backwards it is because the check valve is not working, not because water is falling back onto it.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Ditto: no clunk, no valve closure. Simple fix. You lucked out.

Zombie13

Reaction score
That is why your diagnosis is faulty, because the water does NOT shoot up above the check valve and then fall back. The pipe is ALWAYS full of water, and the check valve just keeps most of it IN the pipe instead of draining back into the basin. IF water IS flowing backwards it is because the check valve is not working, not because water is falling back onto it.

I don't doubt that the pipe always full of water. The check valve is working because the water doesn't flow back into the basin(I am almost positive of this because I took the lid off and watched it, but I can do it again and verify) because after the pump stops, the level doesn't rise. The water I am saying is coming back actually sounds like it is coming back the entire length of the pipe from the main house drain line all the way back to the check valve/basin.

I don't doubt that my diagnosis is faulty, I have zero plumbing knowledge, but please explain why I am wrong instead of just telling me I am wrong. So far the explainations that you have given me have done nothing but confused me and sounded very annoyed.

Ditto: no clunk, no valve closure. Simple fix. You lucked out.

I am almost positive the clunk that I was hearing was not the check valve but rather the pipe. But as a matter of due diligence, is there a way to check the valve other than remove it and look?

If it will help, I can try and record what I am hearing and post it so people can hear the same thing.

Z.

brew24

Reaction score
I have experienced what you are describing. It was my check valve. ACtually I think it also happened on my sump pump for weepers as well. Anyways the flap goes bad and the rubber seal can separate. It may still work but will usually allow some back flow which is probably what you are hearing.

Solution: Replace the check valve. They don't last forever.

Brew

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
After 7 years, replace the check valve, and inspect the pump impeller for some ladies nasty wrapped up in it.

Found many with bandaids and butt wipes reducing impeller size by 2/3

brew24

Reaction score
After 7 years, replace the check valve, and inspect the pump impeller for some ladies nasty wrapped up in it.

Found many with bandaids and butt wipes reducing impeller size by 2/3

Yup been there done that. Banned those butt wipes from the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks