Sewage basin location?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am planning to install a bath in our unfinished basement. A new basin/pump will support an existing washing machine and in the future the new bathroom. I was also thinking of installing a washing machine style standpipe drain for a water softener.

I am wondering what others might see as the better of these 2 options-

1. Install 40' of 4" main drain the length of the basement below grade with the basin near the existing above-grade sewer. This would mean that the pumped line would only have to be about 5' long.

or

2. Install 15 feet of 4" main line (nearest the fixtures) below grade and then having the pressure line from the pump run overhead for about 30'. This would clearly reduce the amount of concrete breaking & digging needed.

Not having been in other houses that requires a basin/pump system, I am hoping to learn about about other upsides/downsides of the installation options.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The best advice any one can give you is to locate the ejector basin on an area you do not plan on finishing that part of the basement for future service of the pump. The pumps are very nasty and dirty when you need to replace them. Also do NOT install it in a small tiny ass closet. Make sure there is enough room for a full grown 200+ pound man can get to the pump pit area to work on the said pump.

I had one where they closed of the area under a set of stairs. the cubby had a 2½' x 2½' foot access panel that I had to crawl through, and the space was only 4' x 4' square with a ceiling height of no more than 3½' tall. needless to say working on that pump was no fun. Oh yes forgot to mention the thick snow white shag carpet at the access panel.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The best advice any one can give you is to locate the ejector basin on an area you do not plan on finishing that part of the basement for future service of the pump. The pumps are very nasty and dirty when you need to replace them. Also do NOT install it in a small tiny ass closet. Make sure there is enough room for a full grown 200+ pound man can get to the pump pit area to work on the said pump.

I had one where they closed of the area under a set of stairs. the cubby had a 2½' x 2½' foot access panel that I had to crawl through, and the space was only 4' x 4' square with a ceiling height of no more than 3½' tall. needless to say working on that pump was no fun. Oh yes forgot to mention the thick snow white shag carpet at the access panel.

Sounds like a fun job...
I would have added a stiff BBF to the labor bill.:eek:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Sounds like a fun job...
I would have added a stiff BBF to the labor bill.:eek:

Oh there was more fun yet. As I went to cut the vent pipe every joint fell apart. You can tell they used glue no primer. So bust out the glue and primer and some new pipe and fittings, knock over the brand new can of glue as you try to move around. Also ended up opening the wall the discharge pipe went up redoing all them joints as well. What should of been only an hour and half job took 6 hours to fix all the screwed up handyman plumbing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

INstall the pump near the bathroom and run the pump discharge as far as necessary. You can use the washing machine's standpipe for the softener discharge.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
INstall the pump near the bathroom and run the pump discharge as far as necessary. You can use the washing machine's standpipe for the softener discharge.

I appreciate the advice HJ, but am curious as to what the reasoning is behind it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks