Setting up an alarm system to detect clogs/overflows

Users who are viewing this thread

rebarman

Reaction score
hi - I had a major overflow, and don't want to ever repeat it. (I think I could have prevented it, but that's besides the point.)

If there is a clog in the mainline and the shower is running upstairs, it will start to fill the shower pan on the ground level. If the toilet is up to the top (that's what happened to me) it will overflow that.

I want an early warning system. I'm thinking of a water sensor alarm that I keep in the shower pan downstairs, as well as on the floor near the toilet. I would like it to have a remote speaker to put upstairs or it would have to be a really loud alarm.

I had gone 15 years without a problem, but it only took once to convince me that I don't want to risk it again. ( I had to re-do the family room floor because of the sewage over-flow.)

Any suggestions appreciated!

thx

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want a cheap solution, get one or two two of these. Maybe put one in the shower pan. For the other, separate the sensor. Splice in a longer pair of wires, and put the box upstairs. Don't forget to replace batteries.

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/Accessories/Water_Alarm.php
Pic1WaterAlarm.jpg

rebarman

Reaction score
If you ar going with an alarm, I would be thinking of a dry vent.
hi Terry - I was just going to post a follow-up, and I see you mentioned a "dry vent". There is already a vent associated with toilet/sink/shower in that area that goes through the roof. I'm not sure if that's what you meant. I don't think that's much help clog-wise since this is the lower level and it's a 2-story. This bathroom is very close (shared wall with outside) to the main cleanout (4") on the side of the house. Could I install some type of trap on the cleanout so that gasses wouldn't escape, but if there was a back-up, it would flow outside? Easier to clean up outside than inside!

thx,
rob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks