Setting tub/shower in basement need help.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by 97STROKE, Feb 5, 2008.

1. 97STROKE

97STROKE New Member

My bath is roughed in for a toilet and a sink. There is no drain coming up through the concret for the tub, there is a drawing that says tub drain but thats it. i have bought my tub/shower. what is the next step? I am sure i will have to dig up the concret but how big of area do i need to dig up?

thanks in advance

Brad
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Consider that you will have to work in the hole to cut pipe and install the trap. I would rather oversize the hole that try to fight one that was too small. Remember, the patch does not have to be as thick as the original floor nor does it have to be finished off for public viewing. I'd use sand around the trap and then mortar about 3" thick topping it off. If you ever had to get into the trap, it would be very quick and easy to break the mortar out. The pros may have a more finite opinion on the size they would like, but I'm thinking something like 2'x3'.