Setting toilet on vinyl floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick O

Reaction score
My plumber replaced my Kohler Devonshire std height with the same Kohler toilet but comfort height. I have a vinyl floor. The new toilet is now shimmed 1/4" above the floor (the old one was on the floor). I called the plumber and was told the vinyl is soft and the toilet will rock and break the wax seal. The old toilet was not shimmed and did not leak. Was I given a phony story?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We always set the bowl on the vinyl flooring. We also preset the bowl without wax to see if the flange is low enough. That way if we set the bowl, and it hovers above the flooring, we know to do something with the flange or the wax rings. Sometimes a wax ring with horn will cause the bowl to not set down all the way.

If the floor or bowl is uneven, then any shimming we do is at the back of the bowl, pinning the front of the bowl down to the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks