Setting shower base and tub base

Users who are viewing this thread

myrightnut

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some advise regarding the above....

I purchased a Shower kit which included the glass for doors and the base. The unit goes in a corner of the bathroom and you tile the corner walls.

Here's my problem.... I spent a long time leveling the concrete floor under the shower (the new bathroom is going in the basement) and have it damn near level in all directions. I set the shower base down and its not level... After alot of shimming and swearing I took off the base and found that the base is no where true... the block supports are not level and the tilling lip is not even vertical... this pushes the base away from the wall and the blocks put it out of level (almost half to a full bubble!!!).

SOOOOOO...

I'm going to shim the base to make everything level and drain properly... I would like to make the install permanent and have thought about using the expanding foam insulation underneath to keep it in place and allowing it to fill in the voids to make it solid. has anyone done this before?

One plumber said that he would take a belt sander and sand down the uneven areas of the acrylic base to make it sit right... another said to put down a bed of thin set... which I thought about... but since it dosn't site right Im afraid I will just make the situation worse this way.

I got the Idea (of using the expanding foam) from listening to my supplier of my tub... who said that when he installs the tub, the base of the tub has pads it sits on and he fills in the void between the pads with the expandable foam... he says it helps insulate the tub and makes it quite solid.

Your thoughts and ideas are very appreaciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most places use mortar. You can use what is called deck mud, which is a mix of mostly sand with some concrete in it. There are other products that will work.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Set it in mortar. This will not only allow you to level the base, it will fill in the void under the base and solidify it so it won't flex.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks