setting bladder tank pressure; selecting pressure relief valve

Users who are viewing this thread

flitch plate

Reaction score
My new 55' - 8" casing source water well with submersible pump is a long way from the house. We use a 1/2" Viega manablock pex plumbing set up which is disappointing as it looses too much head .... so I upped the pump pressure to 83 psi (its not operating with about a 70-83 cycle)

Immediately the brass tank-T pressure relief valve started leaking so we removed it and capped off the nipple. It was a 75 psi valve.

The bladder tank (Amtrol 44 gal) "working pressure max" is 125 psi; factory preset internal tank pressure is about 40 psi. We also upped the bladder tank interior pressure to around 70 psi. This balanced the pressures between the pump and the tank for a smooth and and quieter start and refill cycle.

Any issues with these settings? Do I need to install a replacement pressure relief valve or can I leave the nipple capped off?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah you need a pressure relief valve, get one set for 100 psi or one that is adjustable.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pressure relief valve you have is probably adjustable. Just take the cap off and tighten the adjustment screw until it quits leaking at the highest pressure the system sees.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks