Setting a toilet on hardwood and Dricore

Users who are viewing this thread

Novacks

Reaction score
I recently remodeled my bathroon in my basement. Althought I've set toilets before I've never run into this problem before. I installed Dricore before I put down a laminate flooring and the distance between the drain-flange and the toilet increased considerably. I had the bright idea of using 3 wax rings (one with the plastic flange on it) to make sure the set was watertight and here 5 months later the bowl is leaking. It has to be a wax ring failure and I fear it just didn't seal well because I uses so many rings. Two rings were too little and three were just a bit too much. Can anyone suggest how I might fix this problem with out having to install a new drain-flange that is taller?

Thanks for any advice.
Novacks

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flange

I would thought you would have known whet your were getting into.
There is no perfect answer to a hodge-podge condition. Do it the proper way and be done with it. Otherwise you probably will have continuing problem.
That's no place to cut corners.........

Prashster

Reaction score
Dricore and laminate flooring are floating systems. However, when installed under a toilet, you should really secure the floor and the subfloor to the concrete slab with tapcons or the like. It's unlikely but possible that movements in the subfloor have compromised yr seal.

If you have room for 3 wax rings, do you have room to remove and raise the flange to the proper height?

Brainstorming here: Can you cut the laminate around the base of the toilet, instead of running it underneath? It's less desirable I know, but it might lower the total height enough to let you use fewer rings.

Can you employ plastic spacers to make up some of the difference?

Novacks

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Removing and extending the drain flange seems the best way to proceed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Raising the flange was the best idea. Best done before the wood goes down, but a plumber could probably still do this.

Fluidmaster and Oatey make "waxless" rings, which can accomodate at least 2" of height offset. This may be the way to go, as long as you can insure that the toilet itself is securely held down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks