Service Upgrade completed!

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Not to argue, but to learn: What is paralleled there? The grounding conductor from the panel would/should have gone into the meter socket and connected with that same wire anyway.
The neutral is bonded to the meter pan so no other bonding is required. The bare copper you installed is connected to the GEC and to the panel where the neutral is also bonded which means that both conductors will carry the returning current. The metal nipple will do the same thing. I never use metal between the meter and the service disconnect.

The inspector's sticker on the meter socket says "Code Compliant Electrical Inspection", but I do understand that does not automatically mean everything is said-and-done in relation to insurance coverage and/or liability.!
My question is does that sticker mean that the service change passed inspection or does it mean that the entire electrical job passed inspection.
Did the inspector go into your house and work shop and inspect all the work being done or did he just look at the service?

The inspection we got was little more than a drive-by, .

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Now thats some funny stuff about NorCalina.....BUT...

A racing friend of mine and known to everyone in my area died a couple years ago and the rumor was it was from drinking Moonshine......He moved to N.C. and had some bad habits (too much partying).....he and another friend of his both died from drinking what some people said was bad shine. Liver poisoning....He was 1 day short of his 50th birthday.....Me and another friend at work found it amazing that this could still happen in this day and age.....

Bonding-schmoding......I drink my beer out of a sealed bottle and it doesn't get passed thru no car radiator to brew it....

Now the inspection is being questioned......The guy put a sticker on it......he was the inspector.....

What should this man do get an inspection of the inspection by another inspector.......yea thats it.....LOL

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The neutral is bonded to the meter pan so no other bonding is required. The bare copper you installed is connected to the GEC and to the panel where the neutral is also bonded which means that both conductors will carry the returning current. The metal nipple will do the same thing. I never use metal between the meter and the service disconnect.
As things are right now (while missing the nut and bushing cacher_chick has mentioned), there are no nuts on the backsides of the meter socket or panel and the nuts behind the plastic bushings are barely fingertight. So, the metal nipple does not serve as a reliable ground.

My question is does that sticker mean that the service change passed inspection or does it mean that the entire electrical job passed inspection.
Did the inspector go into your house and work shop and inspect all the work being done or did he just look at the service?
The inspector was only outside the house, and that might have been all the electrician had noted on the permit documentation.

......The guy put a sticker on it......he was the inspector.....

What should this man do get an inspection of the inspection by another inspector.......yea thats it.....LOL
That is actually a bit of what is going on right here, and I am grateful for it! My wife will eventually inherit this house, and I want everything right for her after I am gone.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Now thats some funny stuff about NorCalina.....BUT...

A racing friend of mine and known to everyone in my area died a couple years ago and the rumor was it was from drinking Moonshine......He moved to N.C. and had some bad habits (too much partying).....he and another friend of his both died from drinking what some people said was bad shine. Liver poisoning....He was 1 day short of his 50th birthday.....Me and another friend at work found it amazing that this could still happen in this day and age.....

Bonding-schmoding......I drink my beer out of a sealed bottle and it doesn't get passed thru no car radiator to brew it....

Now the inspection is being questioned......The guy put a sticker on it......he was the inspector.....

Every small town in Slovakia has a top notch distillery, and the hooch is fermented at home from any fruit and sugar you can think of. Then you haul it to the copper pot and booze master.

I think it legal to do a few hundred litres for home use.

You get safe stuff, and save a bunch. Never will happen here, its the last big tax source in the USA.
And Americans don't pick the fruit on their trees anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks