Service or replace water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramias

Reaction score
Never had any problems that I know of.

80 gallon AO Smith thank. Installed in June 2006 (they wrote it in marker on the tank).

I was doing separate research on why my Bosch dishwasher stinks (yes, the drain Jose has an air gap, and water temp,is between 120 and 125 or hotter (it feels hot) but one of the Internet sites a read on my Bosch said theproblem could be the HW anode. I have never looked at it and I have been here three years. Tank has not been drained nor serviced in that time.

Pay for a service call for routine tank maintenance and anode replacement?

Get a new 80 gallon tank?

Or go tankless? (Though I was told I would need a bigger gas line in the home for this).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fix or buy new? It's your call, there can be arguments either way (search other posts here).

What would I do? Considering the age of the WH, the fact that it has never been serviced and potentially other hidden issues - I'd replace it.

Go tankless? Besides the initial large investment in installing a tankless on demand WH, it come with its set of problems, like hot water shortage, much more service, higher cost, and more. Biggest advantage: it saves space.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the smell was coming from the water heater, I would think you would also get a smell in the shower. I got a lot of hits with this search: bosch dishwasher rotting

Do you have a well or city water?

I have flushed my water heater and gotten an impressive amount of gunk out. I put a powered anode on my WH. A simple WH flush is not that hard. Put the WH into vacation mode or off. Turn off water to the heater. Drain completely. Turn water supply back on quickly for maybe 30 seconds then off. Drain completely. Turn water supply back on quickly for maybe 30 seconds then off. Drain completely. Repeat a few time.

Checking an anode and replacing can be significant work, and usually is best done with a torque wrench (1-1/8 socket) for removing. Do not use nearly the torque that was needed to pull the old anode when replacing with the new anode. What kind of anode to use would vary according to your water. I have a powered anode.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
Don't replace your water heater for a stinky dishwasher. Replace the dishwasher.

I went through this with brand new Samsung dishwasher 2 years ago. The complete cure was to give it back to Home Depot and swap it out for a Kitchenaid.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
After 9 years, the anode rod should be completely "dissolved", so I doubt it has anything to do with your problem. IF you remove the anode, I would replace it with a 3/4" brass plug.

JerryR

Reaction score
Brass plug $5
I paid $11.55 for a Rheem SP11524c Magnesium Anode rod.

1 of: Rheem SP11524C Magnesium Anode Rod with 44-Inch Length and 0.84-Inch Diameter
Sold by: online Warehouse Deals, Inc

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks