Septic tank design help

Users who are viewing this thread

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I’m about to build a house in the next year. I have the plans, the property, have talked with 3 general contractors, and talked to the local building office.

The one thing I have not decided was how to run the septic. The house will be about 1600 vertical feet from where it will be flat for a drain field. The house will be built into the side of the hill so there will not be much of a flat yard before it slops off pretty bad. The plans are for a 5 bedroom 4.5 bath. The move in plans is for 4 adults and a toddler.

So far everyone I have talked to have suggested putting a 2000 gallon tank near the house and putting a 1000 gallon tank at the bottom of the hill with the drain field. I was told by having the second tank there will be less chances of having the drain field clog up from scum.

One person I have talked to suggested a 1500 gallon tank next to the house and bypass the gray water to a 1000 gallon tank at the bottom of the hill. I do not know if I want to have black and gray water lines in the house.

Local code wants 2 tanks because of the distance between the house and the drain field. They also call for the second tank to be 1000 gallons or larger.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Septic system design is a pretty specialized topic. There are some guys here on this forum who may offer some advice. You certainly must comply with what your local regs are requiring, and based on your topography, you will probalby need somone local who has done similar designs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks