Septic system electrical lines

Users who are viewing this thread

RichRose

Reaction score
When my mound septic system was installed about 15 years ago the electrical lines for the septic pump and alarm were both just buried about a foot underground. Recently one of the great Minnesota gophers chewed through the main power cord and it shorted so bad I couldn't get the breaker to stay on. I am going to replace the power lines out to the tank but put them in PVC conduit. (Hopefully gopher proof) I was wondering if I can have both the main electrical wire to the pump and the low voltage wire to the alarm float in the same conduit? Thanks

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Is your alarm float just a set of dry contacts? Basically, the tank gets close to full, and a switch is closed for a light/audible? You can run them together if the insulation on every conductor is rated for the highest voltage in the conduit. Induction typcally isn't a problem unless you're dealing with analog signals, and high current loads. I doubt you have either.

RichRose

Reaction score
Thanks guys, The float alarm sets off an audible signal in the house. I did contact a local electrician yesterday and he advised me that they could both go in the same conduit. I will use a 12-2 UF line for both even though he said I could use 14-2. I can get 250 feet of the 12-2 cheaper than buying a spool each of 100ft. Thanks again for the responses. First time using this forum and I'm impressed with the help. Rich

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, The float alarm sets off an audible signal in the house. I did contact a local electrician yesterday and he advised me that they could both go in the same conduit. I will use a 12-2 UF line for both even though he said I could use 14-2. I can get 250 feet of the 12-2 cheaper than buying a spool each of 100ft. Thanks again for the responses. First time using this forum and I'm impressed with the help. Rich
First off, WHY are you running UF in conduit?? It's legal, but not a good idea and a royal pain to pull in.
Also, every septic system I have ever done had line voltage floats and alarms. Are you sure yours is low voltage?

RichRose

Reaction score
Thanks Speedy Petey for the concerns. The tank alert is an SJE 101 series built in 1996. As far as I can tell the line that runs to the float is 12 volts. The use of UF wire was advised by several people. Seems in Mn, even if it is in a conduit it has to be rated for underground use. My next decision is if I use 3/4 or 1 inch PVC conduit. I think I'll go with the 1 inch to make it easier to pull through. Again the present wires that run from my house are 14-2 UF and 12-2 UF but are not in a conduit, with the 12-2 having been eaten through by a gopher. Funny thing is there was no dead gopher where I found the break. Thanks again for all the questions. I'm not one to jump in quickly, especially with electricity, and you all have helped me slow down and make sure of my decisions. Thanks, Rich

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks Speedy Petey for the concerns. The tank alert is an SJE 101 series built in 1996. As far as I can tell the line that runs to the float is 12 volts. The use of UF wire was advised by several people. Seems in Mn, even if it is in a conduit it has to be rated for underground use. My next decision is if I use 3/4 or 1 inch PVC conduit. I think I'll go with the 1 inch to make it easier to pull through. Again the present wires that run from my house are 14-2 UF and 12-2 UF but are not in a conduit, with the 12-2 having been eaten through by a gopher. Funny thing is there was no dead gopher where I found the break. Thanks again for all the questions. I'm not one to jump in quickly, especially with electricity, and you all have helped me slow down and make sure of my decisions. Thanks, Rich

Use thwn wire instead of the uf and make your life easier when pulling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks