Septic Odors in Home

Users who are viewing this thread

rippyb

Reaction score
Was wondering what to do. We seem to be having septic odors in our home only when running water in the shower or sinks. There is no odor outside. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks for the help!!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Not to jump ahead of Mr. Norton but it sounds to me more like a Sulphur oder coming from the water or the magnesium rod in the hot water tank.

In my lifetime of drilling I have only seen three wells that had sewage getting in them. All three weren't properly cased and grouted when they were installed. I don't think this is your problem.

If you really suspect it's sewage you may want to catch a sample and have it tested by a state approved labatory.

Porky, MGWC
Master Ground Water Certified
www.dci-inc.us

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I've seen a few hundred wells with E-Coli, fecal Coliform, streptococcus etc. one had Helicobacter Pylori and is wasn't due to the construction of the well.

A hot water odor is caused by sulfate reducing bacteria, a group of harmless bacteria, using the anode rod to creat H2S gas. You must kill the bacteria or remove the rod to fix the problem permanently.

The easiest way to prevent it is to turn the temp up on the heater for a couple hours and then turn it back down if you are afraid of 'burning' someone.

Removing a rod or replacing it with a different type is no guarantee because you scrape off some of the rod material taking it out and that's like leaving the rod in the heater, and adding bleach to a water heater is very difficult.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Once the anode rod is removed for the heater, the tank gets chlorinated and flushed so there is nothing left behind. Turning up the heat is only temporary because the " Source " of the problem is not removed! Wow!!!

aquaman
If you scrape any of the rod material off as you remove it, then chlorinate the heater, I guess you mistakenly believe that new bacteria don't come in with the water and start the process all over again using that material you scraped off... and obviously you have done much of this.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
You know what Gary, you are right. Maybe if just a tad is left over, i guess it could come back. So be careful removing the rod and be sure to flush the tank really good. But what happens if you just leave the whole rod in place? I guess there is a lot left for the bacteria to come back...

If the " source " is the rod...get rid of it!

aquaman
It sounds as if you haven't drained and flushed many heaters after removing a rod Sammy.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I thought you were WQA Certified!

To have the H2S gas odor in the hot water only, you must have three things present in the water.

SRB, some sulfates and an anode rod that the bacteria can get a hydrogen ion off of.

Remove any of those three and the problem goes away.

Turning up the heat to 140f kills the bacteria. Removing a rod usually leaves some of it in the tank and replacing the rod with a different type doesn't always get rid of the problem, plus you usually laeve some of teh original rod in the tank.

The only way to get rid of the problem permanently is to kill the bacteria in the heater (at 140f) or before it gets into the heater but that is not worth the cost of the treatment equipment to do that unless there is another type of bacteria like Coliform etc. in the water.

Turning up the heat to 140f also prevents/kills the bacteria that causes Legionnaire's disease (legionella).

Yes I have had extensive experience over 20+ years with many types of bacteria commonly found in groundwater (wells). That includes testing and treatment. Some of the testing and treatment under government regulations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks