Septic not pumping

Users who are viewing this thread

no_pumpage

Reaction score
We have had a new septic system for 3 years and have had nothing but problems.

I currently have a company trying to fix it and they do not know what is wrong.

It is not pumping.

The pump is on and seems to be working, but nothing is getting pumped. They checked the pipe and there is no blockage. A few months back we had the same problem so they upgraded the pump from 1/3 to 1/2 HP (3rd pump in as many years). It appears that we still have a problem. They said the 1/2 HP should be more than enough. The pipe being used is 2" PVC.

I am a little concerned about them not being able to figure it out. Does anyone have any ideas what the septic company may be overlooking?

Thanks!

Mason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look at the vents and the check valve. My DIY'er two cents...

Also, if anyone in the household flushes things like Tampons or other feminine products down the toilet, educate them that this is not acceptable when a pump is involved (and not a great idea anytime).

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A few questions:

Does the waste go into a septic tank first and then go into a pump tank? There should be baffles or a tee to help prevent tampons from getting into the pump tank . Also when the pump cuts off there should still be water over the top of the pump to help prevent the pump from sucking what ever is floating on the surface.

Is the pump a solids handling pump?

Also where is the pump pumping? Is it pumping to a traditional drain box that then allows the waste water to gravity feed into drain lines? Or does it go to a pressure manifold? or does it go to a Low Pressure Pipe (LPP) field? or does it pump to city sewer?

Some of these systems have check valves. Some have gate valves to change the pressure or the amount of waste water that goes into a field.

Also the pump could have lost its impeller and be running and nothing happening.

When the pump tank fills up with sewage water no one wants to jump right in and start trying to figure it out. First it needs to be pumped and dry out a little before someone digs in to find the problem.

Also as a side note the floats are often set wrong in the first place. This may be why the system has had so much problems.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It may have pumped dry from a float malfunction or, improper setting and not have a bled hole in the pipe between the pump and the check valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks