Septic inspection design issues

Users who are viewing this thread

ECOfarmer

Reaction score
3 months ago they installed, inspected, and passed…
shop / garage with a full bath, 2 utility sinks, and a washer has a 750 gallon tank installed
750 gallon fixed film ATU – split tank 500 gallon aeration tank 250 gallon settlement tank
6 - 75’ leaching lines (the black plastic dome chamber)

Last week they installed…
4 bedroom 3.5 bath house (should be finished mid February) has a 2,000 gallon tank

The tanks from the shop and house flow into the ATU and then into the leaching field. 4 months ago the health department approved the engineered plans for the system. This morning the inspector came out to inspect the house tank and is now questioning the design.

I have a copy of the letter from the heath department stating that the plans passed with a written description of the system. I went down to health department and had the plans pulled for my system and they were not approved or denied. I did find out that the previous supervisor retired (the person I thought approved the system).

The current supervisor told me that they might require 2 more 50’ leaching lines but we should know on Tuesday after they have some meeting.

My perk test in 6/09 was 14 minutes per cubic inch. I have done a lot of reading and a bunch of searching and from what I’m reading my system is some what over sized as it is.

Am I missing something?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Am I missing something?

Yep. The inspector has final say over everything and anything to do with the install. My best advice would be to nice to him and hear what he has to say about it. However inspectors are only human and you can persuade them to see things the way you do sometimes.

I don't size septic systems (up here it's a whole different trade) however I do know that systems are designed on potential usage. The # of bathrooms has nothing to do with it. Tanks are basically sized on the # of people occupying the building (in a house that's the # of bedrooms) etc.

If they do have an issue it's over health and safety... that's not a bad thing right.

ECOfarmer

Reaction score
I flip houses and do higher end remodels for a living. I have only dealt with a few septic systems in my time and it was pump, add man holes, and inspect.

I do feel that I have shown respect but at the same time the need to see what wrong where.

I know that systems are sized by the number of bed rooms and other factors will add to the waist volume.

Your right about it being a health issue and it needs to be right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks