Seperate and reuse PVC piping???

Users who are viewing this thread

fixdrain345

Reaction score
Keep it going, I just ran into this problem yesterday.

Dear Forum,

I am a DIY'er or at least try to fix things around the home on my own if I can but take wise approaches as you can see I am here in this forum to get some advice. Anyway from what I have read so far I really liked the suggestion from DEB and everyone else who had no problems in going with PVC tubular fittings.

First the leak is about 5 inches from where the pipe runs through the wall. Everything seems to be glued together all the fittings expect for the part that attaches to the garbage disposal and alternate sink. I am thinking about cutting the pipe close to the wall and glueing a threaded trap adapter to the pipe that is coming from the wall. Than get a set of new pipes, pvc tubular fittings that have adapters unlike the tubes that are on there know which are glued.

Wish me luck, any other suggestions, if I get stuck I will be back.
I was also thinking of just cutting the pipe by wall and with some of sticking out cut at where the leak stops and attaching a Drain & Trap Connector Coupling or a proplex coupling to hold the pipes together (what does everyone think about that) Do they make couplings in longer sizes around 7-10 inches??? Will this also be a good quick fix.

Thanks everyone good nite....

Bencher

Reaction score
Well - I don't consider myself as very handy - But I will say that I thought some of the "experts" on here might be missing something.

I installed a dual kitchen sink about a year ago that replaced my single tub. I think that Watertec was spot on here in that I should have installed and glued ABS right from the start. I used compression type fittings that due to having to clear various things (Like an under sink garbage can) had about 10 connections. Over the past year - these connections would come loose and water would soak everything under the sink.

No doubt these loose fittings came unscrewed due to pipes getting bumped while retrieving cleaning supplies stored under the sink....but even connections like to the drain trap came loose.

By using Glued ABS pipe - I eliminated 5 of the compression connections and could probably play drums on the pipes without anything coming loose. There is no question in my mind that for strength - A permanent (Bonded) connection beats a compression fitting hands down!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I wonder why really old threads like this pop back up once in a blue moon.

Someone doing a Google search finds it then joins and ads their 2 cents bumping it to the top...

Or, a spammer comes along and drops a link thinking it will remain obscure....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well - I don't consider myself as very handy - But I will say that I thought some of the "experts" on here might be missing something.

I installed a dual kitchen sink about a year ago that replaced my single tub. I think that Watertec was spot on here in that I should have installed and glued ABS right from the start. I used compression type fittings that due to having to clear various things (Like an under sink garbage can) had about 10 connections. Over the past year - these connections would come loose and water would soak everything under the sink.

No doubt these loose fittings came unscrewed due to pipes getting bumped while retrieving cleaning supplies stored under the sink....but even connections like to the drain trap came loose.

By using Glued ABS pipe - I eliminated 5 of the compression connections and could probably play drums on the pipes without anything coming loose. There is no question in my mind that for strength - A permanent (Bonded) connection beats a compression fitting hands down!

When I install tubular I'd like to ensure you that it will be every bit as long lasting as a glued in drain.

Call it the pro's touch!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

quote; I used compression type fittings that due to having to clear various things (Like an under sink garbage can) had about 10 connections.

THAT is neither a common type of installation, nor a wise one. There is no way that many connections should be needed if the proper fittings were used, namely, NONE with slip joints on both ends. BUT if you have that many slip connections, there is NO Way to make it rigid enough not to fall apart. As a practical matter, a slip joint installation should have taken EXACTLY the same number of fittings as a glued one used., the only difference being how they were connected together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks