separate forum for tankless heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think we need a separate spot for the tankless crowd. Here is a subject that keeps comming up over and over, like bad Mexican food. :D

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah, but why do you have to keep answering?

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I think we need a separate spot for the tankless crowd. Here is a subject that keeps comming up over and over, like bad Mexican food. :D

Easy solution: Find all the threads about tankless heaters. Bookmark the lot.

When someone posts a question about tankless heaters, post the list of links to all those other threads.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I talked a guy out of one today. He was going to put in a bosch.

He came at me hard core with stats and I blungeoned this guy with more technical speak than he could handle.

Here's where I nailed him to the wall:

Do you know what the GPM flow is @ 60 degree rise?

He got stumped, then I explained it in backwards fashion what it all meant, then he freaked out.

I asked if he drained his heater, no.

I asked if he knew of anyone that could properly service the unit when it fails, no.

I came at him with the probables...that's all.

The price to install would near a grand, and he did the measure of 10 years to see if he'd even get that back.

When I told him that most likely the issue with reduced GPM flow when there's a hot demand, that was the end of that discussion.

He was buying a tankless under a grand, and telling me 1/2" for the gas instead of 3/4" was telling. He got me off the internet, and I hammered that information at him like he needed to hear it.

Being 18 degrees outside is the perfect example of "extreme temperature" that any water heating device has to overcome.

Sooner or later, I'm going to start lying to the customer and telling them it's the best thing since canned spam.
It's about time I start getting paid for all my time talking about these wonders of joy hanging on the wall.

If I take pictures of the install, I'll get a ton of work out of it.

Oh wait, I'm on tv right now selling my soul! Put down the mic now!

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
There are so many people on my road who have the tankless you wouldn't believe. Some has had them for years, some a few years and some a couple of years, but, none of them, and I am being honest has ever had a complaint. I think to most of them money is not an issue. Just my 2 cents worth here, for with me, it is all I can afford. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that have tankless here that aren't cpmplaining...
But,
When you ask them about specific characterisics of tankless, such as minimum flow to turn on, flow changes with rate of rise etc. They finally admit to it not being all it was cracked up to be and if they had to make the choice over again they would do it differently.

Sometimes people have difficulty admitting they made a $2-3K goof!

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, they still smell good, they must be using it and getting clean, :D

Cookie

Reaction score
Now, I know their are those of you out there (my moth man friend) lol, who will not want to hear this, but, since, I am also, one of the moths I feel drawn to the flame too. There is a heat wave going on here, and since it actually hit 25F here, I feel like running outside and start to mow the snow, I mean the grass. My neighbor's are already probably out there.

I live on the greatest road in the world. I love this community of about 75 people, and we all live on this road. Seventy-four of us are Italian and one is Irish. I will let you guess who the minority is. I am so lucky to live here I can't imagine living anywhere else, it is like I am living in the movie, The Burbs. (Tom Hanks you know) I have very funny neighbors who I have grown to love and attach silly affectionate nicknames for a reason.

We have MeatBall Mike. He is my favorite. He has had a tankless for years. Now, my other neighbor is Mighty Regis. I love him too. He is 84, has had numerous stents put in, is married, and flirts with me on a steady daily basis. It is innocent and sweet, and it makes him feel manly. I sometimes, wink an eye back...;)

Now, Meatball Mike and Mighty Regis builds things together. They only start very late at night, and using circular saws and what-have-you , they work by moonlight and one small light. One night they were out there building a shed . I was laying in bed and I heard Mighty Regis, yelling, " Mike, mike, stop stop!" I could hear the banging coming from a hammer, and then, next heard Mighty Regis yelling in pain. In a very deep Italian broken English voice, I could hear Meatball Mike yelling, " Oh, I so sorry Regis, I so sorry..." Mike, wears hearing aids in both ears.

I was laughing but very concerned about them too, so, I kept the first aid kit nearby the phone with our other neighbor's phone number, Margie, who was in her day a paramedic. Margie, is a pip and truly, doesn't look in her eighty's and flies about her riding lawn mower like a teenager riding a horse.

Our neighborhood, our road is a pleasure to live on, I love talking to the them and know them very well. They took pride in welcoming an irish family with open arms. I have sat many a day in Meatball Mikes kitchen, learning how to make them the italian way. I would make one, eat one, make one, eat one.
We share the land together with our gardens, and this one day, I will out there picking some zukes and Mike was out in his. I yelled over in my English with some Italian words I picked up thru the years of living here, if he wanted some zukes.
He said, " throw over fence, I catch". Since the fence was 8 ft and the zukes grew to football size, I said I would bring them over. He kept saying, " no no, you throw, throw" Throw I did, and hit him square between the eyes, almost knocking him out. We laughed, and he said, "yeah, next time you walk, you walk."
This is the type of neighborhood you love you get to know the people, they get to know you. Another neighbor owns a large italian restaurant and when my husband died, brought chicken, pastas, salads, breads, enough to feed the 150 people that were at my house the day he was buried. They are good people.
Because of the way we are here, we take care of each other, I can honestly, tell you, that the tankless heaters must be working well, because if not, I would hear about it for sure. We talk to each other all the time about everything. Just my 2 cents worth, because that is all I can ever afford.

:p

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Everyone I know that has one says they are creat... except...

I think the issue is they spent so much on these they do not want to admit they spent to much on the latest fad, and not to have it properly sized for their needs as well realizing the other costs of maintaining these new fad items.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
true, true , true

Everyone I know that has one says they are creat... except...

I think the issue is they spent so much on these they do not want to admit they spent to much on the latest fad, and not to have it properly sized for their needs as well realizing the other costs of maintaining these new fad items.

That is so very true
no one wants to admit that they made a mistake
so they will deny it till the day they die........

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have a funny feeling the new administration will be a good example of this phenomanon. :D

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
What do you think of this HYBRED?????

your opinions please....

Went a plumbing event with our supply house
yesterday and they had this little jewell on display...

Its not as small as a tankless, but certainly appears
to be far less complicated..

I did not get that feeling of dread and disaster when I got near it.
it kind of gave me warm fuzzies...

I ....I...dont know why.....

but it sort of reminds me of a power vent hybrid

sells for around $2200. and is much easier to install
comes with a 6 gallon reserve tank so you dont have hot water gaps
and has a pvc chimmney like a power vent...
the unit is 86% efficinet..much higher than the tankless

Has anyone tangled with one yet???

people in our town are installing the Takagi for over 4500
and it does only half of what this can do...
this unit takes the place of two tank type heaters
and can be used for radiant heating , ect ect...

I think I would prefer it over the Takagi,
and certainly the bosch and nortiz

I see it as an alternative to installing a tankless
and except for the size issue it appears to have the
tankless beat hands down

http://www.bostonheatingsupply.com/eternalparts.aspx/files/img/technology/Technology01.jpg

http://www.bostonheatingsupply.com/eternalparts.aspx/technology/

http://eternaltools.bostonheatingsupply.com/eternalparts.aspx/gu26-animation.html

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
your opinions please....

Went a plumbing event with our supply house
yesterday and they had this little jewell on display...

Its not as small as a tankless, but certainly appears
to be far less complicated..

I did not get that feeling of dread and disaster when I got near it.
it kind of gave me warm fuzzies...

I ....I...dont know why.....

but it sort of reminds me of a power vent hybrid

sells for around $2200. and is much easier to install
comes with a 6 gallon reserve tank so you dont have hot water gaps
and has a pvc chimmney like a power vent...
the unit is 86% efficinet..much higher than the tankless

Has anyone tangled with one yet???

people in our town are installing the Takagi for over 4500
and it does only half of what this can do...
this unit takes the place of two tank type heaters
and can be used for radiant heating , ect ect...

I think I would prefer it over the Takagi,
and certainly the bosch and nortiz

I see it as an alternative to installing a tankless
and except for the size issue it appears to have the
tankless beat hands down

http://www.bostonheatingsupply.com/eternalparts.aspx/files/img/technology/Technology01.jpg

http://www.bostonheatingsupply.com/eternalparts.aspx/technology/

http://eternaltools.bostonheatingsupply.com/eternalparts.aspx/gu26-animation.html

That is one sweet little unit Mark!
I have yet to put one in but, I'm like you, I get the warm fuzzies from it!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am trying to call them to ask a few questions right now but they don't open till 9:00 my time...but they do have a 24 hr. hot line to get repair parts ordered...:)...I wonder why they need to be doing that 24/7/365...:eek:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
That looks a lot like the newer boilers I been seeing at the hydronic shops. Navien has duel heat exchangers with a 2 or 3 gallon buffer tank PVC venting and is 98% efficient. Also the "A" models have a built in recirc pump. I think they are starting to get things right. Here is a press release on the Navien.

But one downfall of these super efficient condensing water heaters, is when it reclaims the heat from the exhaust gases, you get condensate, which has a destructive Ph around 4 which will eat up cast iron pipes, sump pumps, brass floor drain covers even concrete. There was a write up about it in the new issue of PHC News here is the article.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks