Selling used radiators?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by maxm, Aug 8, 2008.

1. maxm

maxm New Member

I am currently remodeling my old house and am removing 10 old cast iron single pipe steam radiators of various sizes (mostly larger ones). I am planning on selling all the interior piping to a salvage yard and was looking for some place to sell the older radiators in the hopes of getting more $$ than scrap price.

Any help would be great as I am looking to offset this major upgrade expense as much as possible.

Thanks all for any help

Tony
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

CI scrap is close to $300.00 / ton right now, depending on where you go, so that is not to bad a price.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

radiators

If they are 3 column steam radiators they may not be suitable for hot water systems which will limit the demand. Then shipping costs, unless they are sold locally will also minimize their attractiveness.
  4. maxm

maxm New Member

Thanks

Thank you for the response so far.

The current price in my area for cast iron scrap is 155.00 and they say this will be dropping next week..

Concerning the type of steam radiator, while shopping for my new system I was informed these were also useable for hot water and could be easily converted by simply removing the end cap (after a pressure test)..

I am hopeful I can get these to a new use as I would not want to simply scrap them if they coud be use by another, saving both the new user money and making some $$ back for my new purchase.

Tony
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Put them on Craigs List. Scrap price is high but cast iron radiators are getting rare. There's lot's of guy's looking for them, even 3 and 5 tube steam rads.
  6. maxm

maxm New Member

re nhmaster

Thank you nhmaster. It looks like this will be the avenue I will be taking.

I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.

Tony
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

If only I had.

Never scrapped close to 200 claw foot tubs.
    more cast iron radiators and baseboard than I can count
    Tossed copper and brass
    kept my 69 camaro ss and my 63 vette