Self stick vinyl tiles-any reason i can't apply over old vinyl?

Users who are viewing this thread

qkrinkle

Reaction score
i want to update the vinyl in a tiny bathroom...and was thinking that maybe i could just put down those self sticking vinyl squares?

any reason not to? does the glue come undone?

thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to use a leveling material over the old vinyl first. Personally I would hesitate to use the self stick because it is low quality material compared to the roll material. I don't have any information on how well it sticks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the other hand, it's cheap and easy to put down so replacing frequently wouldn't be hard on the budget. And, if you decided later that it wasn't what you could live with, you'd be no worse off that you are right now.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
Just make sure you clean off the old tiles really well...you want to make sure any floor wax is cleaned off.

Prashster

Reaction score
Have you considered laminate? You can just lay that on top without any adhesive. It'll be a tad more forgiving than new vinyl. You won't get peeling. It's about as cheap and even easier to replace if you decide you don't like it. You'll have to glue the tongues into the grooves in a bathroom application, though. Not a big deal. You can pretty much the same look.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the existing floor is sheet vinyl, and is securely bonded in ALL areas, i.e. not curling corners or edges or seams, then you can use an embossing leveler and put the new tiles down over it.

If the existing is 12 X 12, I don't recommend it because no matter what you do, the seams of the original will eventually telescope up to the surface.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I used those squares in a small upstairs bath and it turned out great. Like the others said, make sure your existing floor is pretty much perfect. Around the tub and toilet, I used some clear caulk in the "grout lines" and smashed it in pretty good with my finger, and then wiped up the excess. I just want the extra measure of protection around the wet areas. It has been 2 years and still looks like new.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Problem with laying new vinyl over old is any thin spot will show. Vinyl by its nature needs a 100% smooth and solid surface. The embossing leveler might work OK, but I'd sure have a flooring installation company look at the job and get their advice. Taking up the old vinyl, asbestos or not, is a B***h of a job for a DIYer. The pros have machines to "git er done". With your health situtation, I would suggest hiring it done and while they were doing the job, take a vacation to a nice motel, have some dandilion wine and rabbit stew, then go home to a nice new floor.

Prashster

Reaction score
In ripping up very old vinyl, there's a risk of asbestos exposure.

You should install 1/4" underlayment-grade plywood on top. Staple it down with a pneumatic (staples will hold better than nails, and are easier to fasten than screws). Check out multiplyplywood.com. I like their underlayment bkz u can get it at L**WES, and it comes in 4x8 sheets which makes it easy to handle and transport.

The underlayment has to be smooth, so don't take shortcuts in fastening or filling seams.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
My kitchen 1965 vintage with 20 yr old flooring needed a 10.3x12 vinyl re-do. Wife selected a top grade vinyl by Stainmaster. I shopped around for a place to buy it and install it. I was ready to tear out the old and they said NO.

Installation was about $150 by a private contractor who worked with a little carpet sales company. The material was the biggest piece of the cost; about $4 per square foot. I'm always shocked by the cost of flooring.

I'm a do-it-myselfer but I wouldn't try that for the money they get to install. One guy did the whole thing in about 2 hours.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Cookie, look at it this way. If you redo the floor again you can do your workouts in the door way. Step up, step down, step up, step down. :)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
" The kitchen is already higher than the threshold going into the diningroom. By about an inch. Does that mean whoever laid this floor, laid it ontop of the other floor? "

"if I lay a new floor ontop of this floor, how much higher will it be then? "

It looks like someone added a layer of plywood over the old kitchen floor. In an old house, it may have been boards over the joists that needed a substantial underlayment for whatever was put on it.

New vinyl on the old would be only about 1/8" more.

I would find out what the whole floor is before I added any more.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Weight isn't significant. But you said that you just noticed that the kitchen is higher than the dining room floor. If you wanted to make the kitchen floor the same level as the dining room, you would want to do it before you put new vinyl down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks