Self-cleaning toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Today I saw an ad for the new AS self-cleaning toilet. Went to their website and looks like it basically dispenses a cleaning solution into the bowl when you press a button, then rinses the cleaning solution away after either 1 minute or 10 minutes depending on which cleaning cycle you pick:

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Cynical me, here.

When they discontinue this dumb feature in 5 years and stop making the juice (as iRobot did with the original Scooba Juice), then one will have a non-functional button system on the tank which, 40 years from now, will be a question on this forum... :)

Why do I think the feature is dumb? Because this can work no better than spraying Clorox Toilet Bowl cleaner in the toilet and flushing without brushing. Which doesn't do much. So neither will this.

The video kind of falsely suggests that a bowl full of water will swirl and swirl and swirl, as if pumped around and around, but all you get is the regular 1.28 flush, except with some cleaner in the flush, and a follow-up flush later.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Unless the cleaning solution is some sort of whiz-bang super-duper caustic chemical that really does work without the friction of scrubbing -- kind of like dishwasher detergent.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And I agree with wjcandee. Looks awfully complicated. When I use cleaner in my bowls, I wind up using a brush afterwards anyway. The liquid alone doesn't do much.

I'm replacing three new American Standard Champion one-piece toilets for a customer and replacing them. He had TOTO before in his other home and was disappointed that that the American Standard finish wasn't as good for cleaning as the TOTO.

I can hardly wait to work on these though. Batteries to change and liquid to change out. Gee, I've been keeping mine under the counter all this time. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Just curious: Is your customer comparing regular or CEFIONTECT to the American Standard?

JRC3

Reaction score
That narrator's voice. UGH. With that water level it looks like a toilet overflow timebomb ready to blow. I wonder how rough the solution is on a septic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks