Seized gas pipe

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by njbillt, Jan 26, 2013.

1. njbillt

njbillt New Member

Hi. I want to extend my black iron gas piping for a new water heater and gas grill. My pipe is 1-1/4 and has a plug at the end of the line that I simply cannot loosen. It's only a few years old, but the sealant the guy used is black, and has hardened. I thought the idea behind pipe sealant was it's supposed to be able to be worked with later. The stuff I'm using says it's non-hardening. Any ideas how I can get this plug out to continue my run would be appreciated.

Bill
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

2... 18" wrenches
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It can take a surprising amount of torque to loosen a fitting. Make sure to help hold the fitting with another wrench while removing the plug. You might need two people and an extension to the wrench.
  4. njbillt

njbillt New Member

You had that right. I slipped 3' of pipe over my wrenches and it came loose. Thanks again.