Seized gas pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

njbillt

Reaction score
Hi. I want to extend my black iron gas piping for a new water heater and gas grill. My pipe is 1-1/4 and has a plug at the end of the line that I simply cannot loosen. It's only a few years old, but the sealant the guy used is black, and has hardened. I thought the idea behind pipe sealant was it's supposed to be able to be worked with later. The stuff I'm using says it's non-hardening. Any ideas how I can get this plug out to continue my run would be appreciated.

Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It can take a surprising amount of torque to loosen a fitting. Make sure to help hold the fitting with another wrench while removing the plug. You might need two people and an extension to the wrench.

njbillt

Reaction score
It can take a surprising amount of torque to loosen a fitting. Make sure to help hold the fitting with another wrench while removing the plug. You might need two people and an extension to the wrench.

You had that right. I slipped 3' of pipe over my wrenches and it came loose. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks