Seized Delta Bathtub Faucet Bonnet Update

Users who are viewing this thread

Soca

Reaction score
I've tried Liquid Wrench, WD-40, Goof Off, white vinegar, hammer tapping and bearing down with my Channel Lock pliers. I've tried heating up the bonnet with a hair dryer. I haven't tried the propane torch as I don't have one. The bonnet edge looks clean and it looks like the bonnet was screwed on correctly. Worst case scenario, if I have to hacksaw the bonnet is there any safe way to do this without damaging the housing threads ? Or, is this not possible ? Photo of the faucet unit and bonnet is attached. Thanks very much for any help.

Attachments

• 100_0483.JPG
    100_0483.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 550

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've put a torch on it. For heat to work, the bonnet has to be warmer than the body. The bonnet expands, you don't want the valve body to also expand. Maybe cold rag on the valve and heat on the bonnet. The bonnet is only a keeper. A nick in the threads isn't a big deal.

delta_rp4993_instructions.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A torch will "melt" the corrosion which has seized the threads. It will also melt the plastic inside the cap, so you will need a new one. The good thing about that is that the new cap is designed so it will not seize like this one did. You heat "a little", and twist to see if it is loose. If not repeat the process. When you reach the right point it will easily unscrew.

Reach4

Reaction score
Based on the picture that Terry posted, it looks as if the knob should be removed first. Then part #4 looks to be a nut that requires a spanner wrench to unscrew. Never seen one of these myself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks