Seems impossible to choose a toilet!

Users who are viewing this thread

rarnold2000

Reaction score
Okay, I have done my research and now I am more confused then ever. Our old toilets clog off and on and just plain look old. What I want is a really good 1.6 gal. flush (no more plunger), good bowl wash (I might not mind brushing the remaining solid waste but I prefer not to have my guests face that), a stylish look (probably one piece by not absolutely necessary), a comfortable height (some higher toilets are too high for me), a comfortable toilet seat, and an off white color (bisque, linen, almond, etc). Is this too much to ask?

AS Champion 4 with a terrific flush and a decent bowl rinse. Wonderful! I'll buy it. Then I learn that they are terribly prone to leaks and other problems? Every plumber, contractor and saleman I have spoken to says to avoid these. Also, a couple of reviewers said the one piece splashes water on the lid and seat when it flushes. Yuck.

Kohler Cimmaron Class 6 (or perhaps Class 5) with a good flush by some counts but overall bad reviews for various reasons. Do the Class 5 and 6 rinse the bowl well? Are the flushes different? One reivewer with a video says that the class five absolutely does not rinse the bowl well, but that the class 6 does an excellent job of cleaning the bowl. Many other reviewers say the Cimmaron does not rinse the bowl well, but they do not state whether they are referring to the Class 5 or 6. Very high ada compliant height may be too much for me, but the Class 6 does not come in a standard height. Go figure.

Toto Drake good flush, well rated, but apparently it doesn't rince the bowl well. Kind of a stodgy design and no one-piece version. In the standard height with CEFIONTECT, it is only available in a glossy white. No other colors. Trading plunger for brush?

Toto Ultramax, a really attractive one-piece design with a decent flush but everyone says it does not clean the bowl well at all when it flushes. Trading the plunger for the brush again? Not for a bathroom used by guests.

Also, many reviewers of all three companies state that the toiles on the elongated toilets are very uncomfortable. They are narrow and not flat. I agree wholeheartedly, but perhaps I could trade these out. So is it really impossible to find a 1.6 toilet that both flushes without clogging AND rinses the bowl well? The cyclone flushes are on 1.28. It is hard to imagine that these could do the job with so little water. I'm lost.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The 1.28g toilets from Toto work...people that have them are often surprised at both how well and how fast they flush. A few people have both the newer and older 1.6g versions, and find little, if any difference. the Ultramax II would seem to meet your requirements. Toto makes several seats for each of the round and elongated toilet designs. One of them is 'flatter' than the other, but I find either to be comfortable. The more dished one does force you to sit centered and back, but then again, that also means stuff tends to hit the water spot, too. Alternate seats can be used - the bolt patterns are standard on nearly all toilets (there are a few exceptions). Color matching is always a little chancey, and exact 'perfect' contour fit may not happen, but they work.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Both the Toto Drake and the Ultramax clean the bowl better then the Kohler class five and class six.
Rinse on the Six is still very sparse, with the rim holes too far apart.
If you have a review saying they like the Kohler, it's because they've never seen a Toto to compare it to.
I have seen both, the Toto wins that one.

Likewise on the flushing and plugging. It's fairly easy to plug the class five and six. The trapway has a tight 90 angle, I can't even call it a bend, as it leaves the toilet.
This is where it most often plugs.

Of all the brands I sell, Toto is far and away the biggest crowd pleaser.
Less then 1% on defect returns, compared to much more returns on the other brands.
A defect on a Toto is almost unheard of.

The Drake II and Ultramax II come in the taller bowl, with CEFIONTECT and the Cyclone rinse.
I've been selling lots of those lately.

If you think an elongated bowl is uncomfortable, then you are in the 2% that think that.
80% of my sales are elongated. Most of the people buying round are doing because they can't fit the elongated in the bathroom, old homes in Seattle, or they are trying to save a buck.
We have been selling the elongated Eco Drake for $10 less then the round. Go figure.
Those are flying out the door too.
If you sit on the end of the bowl, Don't! Sit down at the back. That little end part is for the mans *****. That's right, men have those things.
So sit back on the wide part, and give yourself some room in front.
When men find that they can have the elongated bowls, they switch out the entire home with them. I personally wouldn't have a round in the house.
Sometimes manufacturers give me round bowls, and I tell them straight up, that I'm not installing them in my home. No way!

rarnold2000

Reaction score
Thanks to you and Jadnashua for your helpful replies. Terry, I get the reason that you men prefer the elongated seat, but as a 5'2" woman, I have to tell you that I can't sit back on the seat and still touch the floor flat with my feet. Just the toes and that is not comfortable for any length of time. TMI? (Especially on the Kohler which is higher than than the Toto chair height toilets). The elongaged looks much slicker but I assume there is no difference in performance with respect to bowl height and shape. Tell me if I'm wrong.

My husband hates clogging. I hate bowls that don't clean out completely. I assume that the Toto 1.28 cyclone toilets rinse the bowl better than the non- cyclones. But, can you tell me if the Toto 1.28 cyclone toilets are as good as the 1.6 toilets without cyclone at preventing clogs? Seems hard to imagine that. Are there any 1.6 cyclone flush totos? Thanks once again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks