seeking advise on cistern system

Users who are viewing this thread

bluegrasstyme

Reaction score
i have a 2000 gal above ground, new green cistern tank, planning on encloseing it in a building, insulated and heated thru winter months.
advise needed on all the complete parts needed to have running water in my house in the mountains of kentucky.
my needs at the home are dishwasher, 2 baths, washer,
i am at a loss on the gpm for the pump, the pres tank, csv needed?
ect.
i do know i have a 2" fitting on the side low to the bottom of tank, and 1 1/2" upper fitting on the top high side of tank, along with a 18" manhole, and air port ajustable on manhole cover.

the local's at the hardware big box stores, have the "kit" with a jetpump, tank and pres switch, for around 260.oo bucks, but nobody seems to know anymore than what is printed on the side of the box............imagine that !

i only want to do this once, and correctly -------
please foward any information that may assist me,
thank you ---- bluegras@evansville.net

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the source of water for the cistern? Deep well? Shallow well? Spring? Creek or pond?

Is the water to be used for household only, or also for watering garden and lawn, or livestock?

If you are in a hilly area, can you put the tank about 100 ft higher than the house? That would eliminate a need for a pump.

Since the tank will be above ground, you have several choices of pumps. You could use a shallow well jet pump, a small multistage centrifugal, or a submersible pump in the tank. The jet pump is least expensive, least efficient, delivers adequate pressure and flow. The submersible is the most efficient and will give you the best pressure and flow for the smallest horsepower and electrical power.

If you use a submersible pump, you need to get one that is matched for the job. The "Big box" submersibles are usually matched to deep well applications and are not a good choice for pumping out of a tank.

Your tank needs a float switch or other control for keeping it full, and another float switch to protect the second pump if the tank runs out of water.

Ten Gallons per Minute is a good flow for household uses. If you are soing to irrigate from it you might need a bit larger but the 2000 gallon tank will be a limiting factor.

A 10 GPM 1/2 HP submersible will probably do the job nicely and give you about 12 GPM at 50 PSI and 10 GPM at the usual pressure switch shutoff. If you use a jet pump you would need 3/4 or 1 HP to get the same GPM and pressure.

A 7 GPM rated submersible pump such as the Goulds 7GS05 would deliver 10 GPM at pump start.

A 40 to 50 gallon gallon bladder tank would be adequate for those pumps.

We can give y ou more information after we know a little more about your needs and water source.

Raucina

Reaction score
For starters, I would think that in Kentucky, just a structure around the tank would be more than enough to prevent freezing. It would also prevent UV wear on the plastic. 2,000 gallons of water has a lot of stored heat to give up prior to freezing if this structure is just roughly air tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks