Sediment in my water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ali123

Reaction score
I need some help with a plumbing issue I have in my house. I am lost at this point and don’t know what to do.

The problems started about a year ago when I started to see a lot of sediment in my water. It would clog up the faucets at the aerator. Initially, I thought it was because of my hot water heater (since we recently installed a new one a few months back). I contacted the water heater company and they told me to check my toilet tank (since it does not take water from the water heater) and see if there was sediment there, which there was. So I believe it had nothing to do with the hot water heater.

They also recommend I flush my water heater periodically. So I call my plumber to come and flush the water heater and when he does we find a couple fistfuls of sediment (see picture). So at this point, I thought that with periodic flushing it would be ok, but now I have a new problem.

The sediment keeps coming back and has now damaged my shower system and my dishwasher. I flushed it again twice now in the past year and there was still a large amount of sediment.

I was told by another plumber to install a whole home water filter to fix the sediment issue. But, before spending all that money, I wanted to make sure the sediment is coming from the city. So I had someone come from the city and test the water. He took a jug of water and filled it up and said he found no sediment. He also said that if this issue was with the water, the neighbors would be complaining about it too.

So at this point, I do not know what to do or which direction to take this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5375.JPG
    IMG_5375.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 253

Reach4

Reaction score
I was told by another plumber to install a whole home water filter to fix the sediment issue. But, before spending all that money, I wanted to make sure the sediment is coming from the city.
A whole house cartridge sediment filter will not be a waste, even if the cause is after the filter.

What is that material like? Is it rock? Can you crush it easily? Do you have a water softener or other device that your water goes through?

Ali123

Reaction score
A whole house cartridge sediment filter will not be a waste, even if the cause is after the filter.

What is that material like? Is it rock? Can you crush it easily? Do you have a water softener or other device that your water goes through?
It feels like a softish sand. So not as hard as rock, but not soft to the point it could be smushed. I dont have any other device. At this point, it comes into the house and thats it. I have seen the sediment mainly in the hot water heater, but also in other spots, like my toilet tanks.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Go over to the neighbors house and ask them to look in their toilet tank. Have you asked the neighbors if they have seen any if this sediment or had clogged aerators?
Where did the City guy take the sample (at water meter, at main feed, etc.)?

How old is the house? What kind of pipes do you have (galvanized, copper, etc.)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks