Sediment in hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

DGaddis

Reaction score
I replaced my hot water heater tank about 8 months ago and ever since I have enough sediment in my water I am having to clean my areators daily. We run bath water and there's a massive amount in the tub that looks like dark sand. What's in the areators looks like tan slivers of shale or stone.

After researching probably 100 forums and water filters I run a test and find out I'm only getting the sediment in my hot water, and lots of it. I do have calcium build up around shower heads but water analysis shows a pH of 8 and hardness of 44 ppm.

I guess my questions, what is this sediment? A sediment filter obviously won't remove it unless it's after the tankless heater. Would I be better off to go back to the tank heater? I appreciate all comments.

Reach4

Reaction score
Verify that you have no such sediment in your toilet tanks.

I certainly don't know what could be disintegrating in the WH. If the stuff is plastic, it would probably melt or burn if you get it hot enough. What happens if you try to crush a particle of it?

44 ppm water certainly is not very hard.

How has this varied with time? I presume the dealer and manufacturer say that this cannot be cause by their WH.

DGaddis

Reaction score
Verify that you have no such sediment in your toilet tanks.

I certainly don't know what could be disintegrating in the WH. If the stuff is plastic, it would probably melt or burn if you get it hot enough. What happens if you try to crush a particle of it?

44 ppm water certainly is not very hard.

How has this varied with time? I presume the dealer and manufacturer say that this cannot be cause by their WH.
No sediment in toilets. It's like very thin rock or shale. Might mention we live in southeast TN where we have lots of limestone and are on a well. Rub it between your fingers and it about turns to sand. I had the sediment in my tank before going to tankless. I just didn't realize there was so much of it. I figured cheaper tank and lasted 10 years so I was pretty much satisfied.

I spoke with my plumber who recommended to go back to a tank water heater (due to size of the home) and use a whole house sediment filter between the well pump and tank. I ran nearly an entire bathtub of all cold water, no visible sediment. Add hot water and it's about a teaspoon full. My thoughts is a sediment filter would do no good if it's not in the cold water. It has to be forming when heated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Weird. Have you had a lab water test to get a clue? Limestone-making stuff would show up as hardness, so I don't have a clue as to what this stuff could be.

If you boil some cold water for a few minutes, do you get a precipitate?

DGaddis

Reaction score
Weird. Have you had a lab water test to get a clue? Limestone-making stuff would show up as hardness, so I don't have a clue as to what this stuff could be.

If you boil some cold water for a few minutes, do you get a precipitate?
I have not boiled the water but have thought about it. I had the water tested at my local pool store. From everything I read online a pH level of 8 is too high and consistent with limestone, but the separate hardness number of 44 ppm is throwing me off. The deposits crystallize when heated. Sounds like I may be better off to pick up a comprehensive test kit and test it that way?? Thanks guys I appreciate the input.

Reach4

Reaction score
pH from 6.5 to 8.5 is considered OK. 8.0 is a good pH.

I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ Good value. Some prefer other kits or local. Kit 90 will cost about 1/3 of some other lab tests. Note that tests from a county usually are interested in water safety and don't test things like iron or manganese. It takes about 2 weeks from the time of the order to receive the kit, do the sample, mail the sample back, and get the email results. Even without your particles, you would like to have well water tested for more than just screening to see if it is safely drinkable.

If the bacterial tests are to be valid, sterilize your test sample faucet with bleach or heat, and let the faucet run for maybe 10 minutes before filling the containers. Be careful to not touch the opened sample containers to anything including fingers.

Your pieces are interesting. How about a picture (if your camera has a macro/closeup mode/tulip icon use that). Try soaking a bit of the stuff in vinegar in a closed glass jar. You did not have this at all before the new WH. There is none of this in the cold water. We would tend to wonder if something in the WH was disintegrating -- not that I have ever heard of that. But it would have run out of material with time.... And this one doesn't seem to run out. I suggest saving the particles that you pick up into a jar if it is easy to do. This could be useful in negotiating with the WH maker. Probably not so easy however.

spoke with my plumber who recommended to go back to a tank water heater (due to size of the home) and use a whole house sediment filter between the well pump and tank. I ran nearly an entire bathtub of all cold water, no visible sediment. Add hot water and it's about a teaspoon full. My thoughts is a sediment filter would do no good if it's not in the cold water. It has to be forming when heated.

You must not put a cartridge filter between the pump and the (pressure switch or pressure tank). If by tank you mean the WH tank, I would make the cartridge filter filter all of the water that you use in the house, but probably not the outside faucets. There are considerations in selecting a cartridge filter.

Last edited:

DGaddis

Reaction score
I appreciate the link, I will order this weekend as well as try the vinegar, my kitchen faucet is down to a trickle. I have attached a photo of the sediment in the areator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 388

Reach4

Reaction score
I appreciate the link, I will order this weekend as well as try the vinegar, my kitchen faucet is down to a trickle. I have attached a photo of the sediment in the aerator.
Not the way I pictured it. See if a piece melts or burns. Maybe use a pliers or old tweezer and hold a piece in a flame.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks