Sediment Filter Problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

CarterSample

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm very new to well water systems so please forgive my stupidity. We ran into a problem a few days ago with our system and it's just one thing after another. I'm a little lost and we don't have a professional that is able to come out for a few days.

We have a well water system and a few days ago the pressure system went bad. We had someone come out and repair it, turns out the wiring in the actual well had been completely severed (just really old). They repaired it and every thing is groovy on that front.

But now another problem has arisen. After turning our whole system back on everything is working perfectly, EXCEPT the sediment filter's drainage pipe is running CONSTANTLY. I mean, it is pouring water out by the gallons. So much so, that the drain is backing up and I have to turn the water off for fear of flooding.

We cleaned the filter, replaced the battery, checked the solenoid, ran a flush and it is still just cranking out water. Frustratingly, there isn't a bypass on the sediment filter either, so I can't just bypass the system.

So right now I am in a situation where it's either working water with the possibility of flooding the drain, or turning the water off (which it is). Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? I'm at a total loss at this point.

Could it be the pump isn't regulating it's water correctly and it's just continuing to send water through the system?

This wasn't happening before the "fix" but now I'm wondering if it caused a new problem.

Thank you.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Probably there was a large in-rush when the system was turned back on which churned up enough sediment/crud that it got into the valve and is now keeping it from closing. My guess is you need to clean/rebuild the valve assembly on you filter.

CarterSample

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, just ended up fixing it. The small shutoff valve was stuck. Put a drop of vegetable oil on it and that fixed it right away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks