Securing Well Storage tank when not in use

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben47

Reaction score
I am on well water and have a 40 gallon storage tank (Bladder type). The house will not be in use for several months. Is it advisable to drain the storage tank (as well as the hot water tank) while not in use? Power to both well pump and hot water tank have been turned off.

Ben47

Reaction score
Draining a bladder tank is easy. Turn off the pump, open a faucet. When the water stops coming out the tank is empty.
Thanks. I guess I wasnt clear in my question. Is there any harm if I do not drain the storage tank? Or for that matter do not drain the hot water tank. The storage tank bladder remains under constant pressure- will that shorten the life of the bladder, and thus the tank?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as you don't let them freeze, staying full of water won't hurt anything. But you should probably run some water through them when you get back as the water won't be very good after sitting in those tanks for so long.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the home sits dormant, I'd run a little chlorine bleach through the entire system just to keep it bacteria free.

Ben47

Reaction score
As long as you don't let them freeze, staying full of water won't hurt anything. But you should probably run some water through them when you get back as the water won't be very good after sitting in those tanks for so long.
Thanks. I was just concerned about the bladder remaining stretched for a long period. I guess they are designed to withstand such. [The house will remain warm]

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since you need to turn the power off to the pump while you are away to prevent flooding the house if you have a leak, I would also drain the pressure tank. Just leaves no water to flood if you do have a leak while your gone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks