Securing vertical ABS pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I've mainly done cast iron vertical pipe runs so I am familiar with using the riser clamps... is this necessary for ABS vertical runs or what is the preferred method (and material) for doing so.

Also, need ABS pipe only be secured by plastic plumber's tape (as opposed to copper or galv)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Seattle, ABS needs to be supported every four feet, horizontal and vertical. This can be galvanized pipe strap, or plastic.
The horizontal is mainly to keep the pipe from bowing sidewise.
Sometimes for the vertical, I will drill the hole to fit the pipe, and then use a coupling at the floor to hold the pipe up.

pipe-hanger-oatey.jpg

Last edited:

DavidTu

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

My holes are not precise enough to use a coupling :) so I have to use strap I guess. Is simply taking one wrap around the pipe and tying back to a stud enough vertical support then?

Your mention of bowing horizontal pipe makes we wonder if hanging a tape strap as from/between joists (for pipe running below/within) in a U-shape or even a U with a wrap-around is providing sufficient stability against bowing? If not what do you do besides a plumber's tape U?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"Is simply taking one wrap around the pipe and tying back to a stud enough vertical support then?"

That's what I do, ABS doesn't really weigh anything anyway.
I do make sure the horizontal is well strapped though.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Something like the Oatey J-hook at 3-4' intervals works great on the horizontals. I like Terry's idea of the coupling for the vertical.

dwv_j_hook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As far as residences, I have NEVER supported a vertical pipe of any material other than keeping it in position with the hole when it goes through an upper or lower plate. The connections to the vertical pipe are usually adequate to support and restrain it.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's why I mentioned that this was in Seattle. Like hj, I see no good reason for the vertical strap, however it got into the code here in the Seattle area, and to pass inspection here, they will want to see it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks