Securing escutcheons

Users who are viewing this thread

maddfrog

Reaction score
I recently had a plumber install a pedestal sink (along with a Kohler Memoirs toilet, which had its own issues)

The escutcheons on the supply lines don't fit snugly to the wall or the pipe. If I push them against the wall, they just slide back over time (we live near a train, so there's a lot of vibration). How can I secure them to the wall? I was thinking about a ring of plumber's putty on the wall behind them. Any other ideas?

maddfrog

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I thought someone might know of an "old plumber's trick" other than putty or caulk.

I'd rather use the putty because it will be completely covered by the escutcheon whereas the caulk will show. It'll also allow me to move the escutcheon for painting, etc.

I was thinking I'd make a thick rope of it and press it on the wall around the pipe, leaving an opening at the bottom in case any moisture got in there. The escutcheons are of the shallow variety, so the rope of putty would stick to the back of the escutcheon and stick it to the wall with nothing showng on the outside.

As far as the plastic ones go, I considered them, but I think the metal look far better, especially on a pedestal sink where they're out in the open. I find that the corrosion cleans up pretty easily with a plastic dish scrubber.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
One "trick" might be to wrap a little tape over the pipe that the eccutcheons fit over, thus increasing the outer diameter of the pipe. Then push the escutcheons over this "fatter" section of pipe. This works for bifold pins that are too small for the hole, so maybe it will work for 'scutcheons.
Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks