Securing a vent stack

Users who are viewing this thread

jay_sfb

Reaction score
I've run into a couple of situations now where I need to cut into a vertical stack to either replace a damaged connection or re-route the stack. In both cases, however, the stack runs too close to a stud to use a riser clamp near the repair junction. Is there another solution, or am I just exhibiting my natural ignorance in not being able to figure out how to make the riser clamp work? I suppose I could go all the way up and install the clamp on top of the ceiling joist (even removing the vent pipe to just below the joist, too, since it's all galvi and heavy as sin), but so many of the illustrations I've come across show the clamp braced in the wall that I was wondering if I was missing something.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jay

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
A piece of 7/8" or 1-5/8" unistrut and a strut clamp...
Screw the strut to the 2X4 then use the strut clamp to hold the pipe...
P1109.gif

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
When you say a riser clamp won't fit, are you thinking long ear or short ear riser clamps?

jay_sfb

Reaction score
srdenny said:
When you say a riser clamp won't fit, are you thinking long ear or short ear riser clamps?
Both. The pipes run right along the stud, so there is no room for a clamp. The same is true at floor level, of course, which is why I thought about going above the wall and grabbing it in the attic. I think I read that code says <15' to support a vertical run (this would be about 5' away), so I was using that as a guide. The unistrut looks like an interesting option, though in one case I know I couldn't get the support behind the pipe, let alone figure out how to attach it to the stud once it was there. Still, I'll keep it in mind for areas where there is zero side clearance but room for something in back.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Jay

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
aaaahhhhh...well, if it's not too late...
Drill a hole in the stud next to the pipe wide enough to slip both sides of a friction clamp in...you'll have to twist them a bit IF you have enough space against the drywall in back.
If not...you might have to perforate the drywall to make room.
OR, best idea yet...YOUR idea, clamp it above in the attic.

poorplmbr

Reaction score
how about a two hole galvinized pipe strap bolted directly to the wall that the pipe is so close to?

jay_sfb

Reaction score
poorplmbr said:
how about a two hole galvinized pipe strap bolted directly to the wall that the pipe is so close to?
That's the problem with old construction. My walls are lathe and plaster; not exactly something you want to hang your plumbing from :). Boring the adjacent stud might work, but there really isn't a lot of room behind it to work in a clamp, and I'm afraid I would bust the plaster if I tried. Clamping directly to the stud is even less attractive because any bolt holes (using a U-clamp or similar) would be very close to the edge. I guess if I put a strap across the U-bolt ends it wouldn't really matter, but it seems very "inelegant".

I have to say that I am certainly learning a lot from the whole process, and the crew here has been very helpful. Despite the several books I've bought, it's clear that there is a difference between the examples in the text and the "real world". My "reality" is that I'm going to have to install the clamp in the attic; and from what I've seen so far, I suspect that stacks run too close to studs for clamps in a lot of cases. Supporting them is just one challenge; for me, cutting them without damaging the wall behind or the stud is even tougher.

Those who do this for a living have earned a fair amount of respect from me, too. Working with pipe while lying on your back in the dirt with only 2 feet of clearance can't be fun (especially when you discover the cat has been using the crawl space as a litterbox for the last two years :(). At least it's one aspect of this project I'm not looking forward too...

Jay

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
jay_sfb said:
Those who do this for a living have earned a fair amount of respect from me, too. Working with pipe while lying on your back in the dirt with only 2 feet of clearance can't be fun (especially when you discover the cat has been using the crawl space as a litterbox for the last two years :(). At least it's one aspect of this project I'm not looking forward too...

Jay

Welcome to the life of a plumber!
Now thats glamor!

MG

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
OR, best idea yet...YOUR idea, clamp it above in the attic.

Its an old thread - but this post helps to verify what I have to do next week - but I think I'm also going to cut into the wall behind the vanity in the bathroom and get another clamp setup there in addition to one in the attic (which will be supported on extra 2"x6" pieces attached to the joists). I have to remove most of the old CI in the basement and I know darn well that the stack is not supported well. Its using the old school thought of build it from the bottom up and uses some perforated galvanized straps to help hold it up. Its a wonder the thing hasn't crashed.

Looking forward to this lovely job...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

1. Wrap perforated metal plumber's tape around it and screw it to the stud.
2. In most cases there are branch lines off the vertical stack that are going to support the stack anyway. I have seldom had to add independent support unless the stack is a straight section without branches coming into it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks