Seating of sink drain in antique sink

Users who are viewing this thread

atlantis43

Reaction score
Have an antique bathroom porcelain sink (early 1900's), whose drain is leaking at the sink junction and needs replacement. Since the hole in the sink (for the drain) is a 'flat' recess (rather than angled), I'm wondering if there is any special type of fitting or gasket that I might need (in addition to caulk) to get a good inner seal for the drain. It is a pop-up/no overflow type of drain.
I hope the above details are clear, and thanks for any info.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In those days the sinks usually used a "CO" drain with a rubber plug which had a very thin edge so it did not need a recessed opening. Your drain does not need any thing special to make a seal.

atlantis43

Reaction score
thanks for quick reply. as soon as replacement received (non-overflows are hard to come by, even in NYC) will get to work.

atlantis43

Reaction score
In those days the sinks usually used a "CO" drain with a rubber plug which had a very thin edge so it did not need a recessed opening. Your drain does not need any thing special to make a seal.
Tried to install new drain, and I find that the drain hole in the sink is only slightly smaller than the drain flange, and thus there is only a small "edge" for plumbers putty. Would you know if there are any especially wide flanges, or any rubber gaskets available that might afford a better seal? Or maybe just a lot of pipe dope on the lower gasket and threads to prevent the water from coming out (in spite of the poor upper seal)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks