Sears softener not regenerating

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by raffwing, Jan 6, 2010.

1. raffwing

raffwing New Member

Hi there,

I just purchased a Sears 350 water softener. Had a profesional plumber hook it up over a week ago..

That day, I filled it up, hit 'regeneration', and watched it work for about the three hours it takes..I set the regeneration to regenerate every 3 days, 2 a.m..

My problem is, I don't believe it has regenerated since day one. I recently put a piece of notebook paper under the drain tube to see if it got wet during the night, and so far nothing..

Anyone have any thoughts as to why it's not regenerating?

Appreciate it.
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

I assume that you have gone through the installation and programming manual? If so and "no go" then I would put it into manual regen and start looking for a leak in the brine tube fittings.
  3. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Does this control read out have a flashing icon when water is running in the house?

If it has one, and you run water in the house and it does NOT flash, then the meter is not counting.

The other thing, if the water hardness setting is to low it will take a very long time between cycles.

How many in the house?
    Hardness in the water?
    Iron in the water?
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

When you say you set it up for every 3 days, how did you determine 3 days?

Usually you would have a metered control valve that would regenerate after so many gallons; not based on days.
  5. raffwing

raffwing New Member

Hi all-thanks for the replies..

Last night, as in the previous couple nights, I got up at 2 a.m. in hopes of seeing it regenerating, and it actually was! So I think I'm all set..

and to answer your questions -

Yes, Peter, did check for leaks

The icon does flash when water is running but I may have the hardness level too low-I'll check it out tonight-thank you Akpsdvan.

Gary what you said about regenerating based on gallons not days, makes sense and I think I read that in the manual, but then why is there a setting that I have to select concerning the intervals (days)? Default is 4 days..

Thanks again guys..
  6. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

That should be explained in the manual but it sounds like a calendar override. You should not set that before the gallons would cause a regeneration.