Sears Intellisoft 420 Series

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by masisneros@comcast.net, Nov 11, 2009.

1. masisneros@comcast.net

masisneros@comcast.net New Member

I purchased this water softner 3 years ago this month and it has worked fine up till now. Mechanically, it works fine, the only problem is the water is not as soft as it should be-I suspect the resin needs to be replaced. Water is at 36 grains of hardness-not sure about iron content.

Everything is fine with it-the water is just not as soft as it needs to be.

My question, should I go through the trouble of replacing the resin? Is it hard to do?

Should I just replace it with something else? I read a thread recommending replacing their sears with a Fleck or Autotrol-should I do this? Will they fit easily in the same space and are they actually better than what I have?

Please help!

Mike

2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Retired
    Have you left it run out of salt? That can casue hard water getting through the resin bed.

Resin only 3 years old should not be bad.

You have a cabinet model and another brand of control probably won't fit the cabinet. Plus you have a tank that is not industry standard and would need an adapter. So it's probably better to buy a new softener with a Clack WS-1 control valve.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. masisneros@comcast.net

masisneros@comcast.net New Member

I did run out but that was 3 weeks ago, so I'm starting to get worried that the water hasn't returned to what it use to be....

5. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Retired
    Then your resin is not fully regenerated and you have to do 2 back to back manual regenerations )one after the other) with no water use during or between those two at the max salt dose of 15 lbs/cuft of resin in the softener or it will never work right again.

I don't know how to set the lbs on your brand of softener control. There's probably a secret way to get into the compter that isn't published in the consumer manual. Call tech support.

If you can't find out how, then do 3-4 regenerations back to back without changing anything. Make sure the salt tank is like half full after each one.