Searching out a draftsman/architect in Washington

Users who are viewing this thread

Dustin07

Reaction score
Website
www.tca-inc.net
Since this site is really leaning towards Western Washington I figured it was worth asking...

I've been told a draftsman is a good way to go because he should be able to offer more creativity than an engineer, but more engineering support than an architect... and will cost right in the middle.

I'm open to Engineers, Draftsman, Architects... I need rough ideas of what they charge, be it hourly or project/project. I've spoken to one, but that's because I've only been able to get a hold of one!

I'm looking to do a box on top of a box add-on. 20' by 32' 2 story add on with possible loft above that. I already have spoken to the city and I know it won't be a problem.

I have an awkward roofline though (see pic). I'm bringing this addon out straight out the front door side.

dustin07-01.jpg

dustin07-02.jpg

dustin07-03.jpg

EDIT: I need to back track and be more clear here.... The whole reason I'm posting is because I'm hoping that someone in Washington can point me towards someone else in Washington who can do my drawings for me! haha.

I can't get Contractors to provide any kind of cost estimates until my drawings are made........ as you know :)

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Your plans will need to be cerified by an engineer. Just giving you a heads up, there's plenty of drafters but you need one with a working relationship with an engineer.
I know quite a few drafters doing sidework with relationships with archies or engineers. The better ones tend to be old guys (no offense to anyone) who have been drafting for years and never made the switch to computer drafting.
I'm in Florida so I don't know anyone offhand who can help but I will check around.
Goodluck with your search and reconstruction.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
addition

For your addition you need an architect. Anyone can put a "box on a box", but to make it look good, tie into the rest of the house, and fit the neighborhood, you need someone with more ability than just being able to draw a straight line. That is what an architect gives you, and you might have to consult with more than one to find the one who has a "feel" for your project.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
First you need to find out what the legal requirements are. You may choose not to follow them but you should know what the municipality will require. If nobody has to stamp the plans you can go with a draftsman or designer. I think you might want to get to a level who would call himself a designer.

Talk to prospective builders and ask what they want to build from. They would probably recommend a designer or architect. They often have people who do design work for them on a prospective basis; designer gets paid only if the builder gets the job. You don't get a lot of pre-contract design tradeoffs in that kind of arrangement.

I'm a retired civil engineer, PE, who designed and built my own house, and I wouldn't touch a job like this because I don't think I'm qualified to do what you want at a price you would get from a designer or young architect. I have seen some good design/picture work from young architects just out of school but you need someone with construction experience to know what the builder wants.

Whether designer or architect, I would go with someone who is going to do it on a computer. He can show you so many different concepts in a short time that a paper draftsman can't. If anyone is still doing anything more than preliminary sketches on paper he probably isn't the kind of professional whatever that you want.

If a designer is experienced in single family house design he will pick the right structural elements out of a table or code and put lines on the paper/computer for the builder. In that business a lot of the detail is often covered by the usual practices of the trades and is not put on paper.

If the designer is using long span trusses you hope that the guy that sells the trusses has them right and you should get a copy of the design stamped by a structural engineer (part of the price of the trusses).

An architect will probably give you more creativity of design than an engineer, and a designer will give you variations of what he has done before.

I would start with the builder and then talk to whomever he suggests. Don't make commitments too early, and ask to see their designs for things that have actually been built. This is a job that some guy might do for you after hours for a reasonable price.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks