Searching for freestanding shower stall

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by trader, Jan 4, 2005.

1. trader

trader New Member

I am searching for a manufacture that builds a heavy-duty free standing shower stall. The shower stall needs to have a frame strong enough to support the installation of stainless steel grab bars. So far I have not been able to locate a freestanding shower stall that meets this requirement.

Thank you for any comments.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'm not a pro...In looking around, I've never seen one like that. You could have one built - I'm assuming you want this totally free-standing? I did see some kits designed for tiling that could be quickly assembled then tiled. These were made by a company in (I think) Germany. www.wedi.de some really neat designs. They have a US distributor, but I've don't know how easy it is to find. One design they had was sort of a spiral, there wer others, too. Pretty neat.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If you are talking about fibreglas shower stalls which are built in and surrounded by conventional framing, you need to provide 2x6 blocking in the walls to support the grab bars.
  4. trader

trader New Member

thanks for the replys

I have come to the conclusion also that I will have to add supports to the freestanding stall. Mustee has one that I will install and add the necessary supports for the mounting of the handles.