Searching for buried water line

Users who are viewing this thread

Mary in Texas

Reaction score
We recently purchased one acre of land with community water. We moved our mobile home onto the land and we are trying to do as much as possible on our own to save money. The water meter is near the road in the corner of the property. We can't seem to find the location where the water pipes come out of the ground near the mobile home. We do see the sewer pipes and have already connected the electrical wires, but can't find the water lines. Can anyone suggest how we can locate the lines without digging up the entire 1/2 acre we have for a front yard?
Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Problem with metal detectors is they may not penetrate deep enough to find the pipe. I fear a locator company is your best bet, but it will cost.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Most utility companies will locate all of your lines for free.

Around here, you go to http://www.missutilityofvirginia.com/ or call 811. I'm sure they have something similar in TX. The utility companies don't want you breaking their gas lines or cutting through their cables. Search around online or check your phone book. In the phone book, it is probably towards the front in the government/city/utility section. You could also try calling who you pay for water to see if they can locate the lines for you.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
There may not be a water line. I are area it's up to you to run the water line from the meter to the mobile home.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
locating

Here, the utility companies ONLY locate their lines up to the meters, and this situation is after the meter. Hopefully it is a metal pipe that a locating device can trace the route.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I guess it depends on where you are. I know in Oregon (where I am originally from) and the states surrounding VA, they mark everything in the area you will be working. For instance, if you tell them you are putting a pool in the back, they will mark anything that runs in that area.

Check the phone book, the web, and your local water company and see what they do in your area.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
locating

WE also mark the area where we are going to work, but they ONLY find the utilities' feed lines. They do NOT find any user installed lines of ANY kind. One reason being, that if they did it and missed something, for any reason, the homeowner or contractor would be within their rights to sue them for damages since they relied on the service to be complete. If they miss a location for a utility line, THEY fix it, but if you do NOT call them for a location and damage their line, then you pay them and they do not work fast or cheap.

SoInBoy

Jack of all trades,, master of none
Reaction score
Old Timers trick

I've located lines before by using a peach tree limb in the shape of an upside down "Y".. Hold the two legs of the "Y" and walk across your yard and when you cross a pipe, the remaining leg will bend and point straight down..

Has anybody else of ever tried this?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dowsing

It only works if you are a "believer". I have seen property that looked like a Beirut landscape after the dowser told them all the places the sewer line WAS. Each time, he said, "Well, there was something down there." Then I told them where it was, and it was on the other side of the building.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks