Sealing vertical pipe penetrations through Concrete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Not

Reaction score
I have several air conditioner units outside on a slab right next to the building. The way the copper tubing is run for the refrigerant lines is less than optimal, they go straight down through holes in the concrete slab, and then turn 90 degrees underground and come in horizontally through the foundation wall. You can probably guess what the issue is - the pipes are not sealed up well where they go through the slab and during heavy rains water pours into the basement.

The attached pictures hopefully make things more clear.

What I plan to do is remove some of the insulation from the pipes, remove the caulking that is on there now, chip away some of the concrete, and then apply a generous amount of some sort of sealant over that area. I'm just not sure what I should use exactly - something like foundation waterproofing coating? Any suggestions on the best way to tackle this to prevent water from following the pipes into the basement?

Sorry if this isn't a good fit here in the remodel forum... I wasn't really sure which forum would be most appropriate.

2015-05-19 17.37.49.jpg 2015-05-19 17.36.05.jpg 2015-05-19 17.40.56.jpg

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Flexible expanding can-foam designed for window & door air sealing should work (eg: Dow Great Stuff Window & Door ) Don't use other types of foam sealants, most of which are too brittle to handle the thermal expansion & contraction over time without eventually crumbling. You'll have to paint the foam or seal over it with roofing patch goop after it cures to protect the foam from sunlight UV degradation.

Sealing basement penetrations from the interior in a similar fashion is also a good idea. (UV protection not necessary for indoor applications.)

Be sure to clean out as much grit and old caulk as you can to ensure a water tight fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks