Sealing Toilet Bottoms

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by motonutz123, Oct 22, 2011.

1. motonutz123

motonutz123 New Member

Hi,

I just bought an American Standard toilet and the instructions say to put a bead of sealant around the toilet base and then turning it over and installing the toilet. I would think that doing that would prevent someone from seeing any leaks if the wax ring leaked and make it harder to remove the toilet if there was a leak. What would be the reason to but sealant on the bottom of a toilet?

Thanks for your replies.
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Think boys or men with bad aim.

I read a sign in a Chinese restaurant washroom.

We aim to please.
    You aim too, please!
  3. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Don't put any sealant on the back side of the bowl then if the wax leaks you will see it before it can causes water damage.

John
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Use a latex caulk, not silicone which is too difficult to remove. As noted, this is to prevent water from getting under the toilet. Some plumbers caulk all the way around, but most leave the rear open. The caulk also helps keep the toilet from moving.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  5. motonutz123

motonutz123 New Member

Thanks John and Gary for your replies. Caulking and leaving the back of the bowl open makes lots of sense and using latex caulk in this application makes sense also.